Triton Florescent bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEC

The owner of one of my LFS recomended Triton bulbs over Coralife bulbs ,his opinion is that they are brighter.Now as he doesent sell any kind of dry goods (only sells corals and fish)im inclined to go with his opinion. I have been searching all of the manuf. sites that I could find but only found these bulbs at That Pet Place.It seems that the catolog I saw at store had a lower price than what I am finding at That Pet Place. Does anyone know of the manf.web address or of another on line store that sells Tritons? Also has anyone else used these and what do you think of them ? They will be used on a 55 gal. tank that will house mostly fish but will probably also keep some kind of lower light corals ,such as mushrooms. TIA Mike

Hi Mec,

Try these guys] http://www.championlighting.com/
I use 4 URI VHO tubes on my 65 and love them. You can keep alot more than low light corals with them.

Good luck, Al

------------------
He who feared he would not succeed sat still.

Go with the tritons. You will see a huge difference in the intensity as opposed to the coralife. I use 1 triton and 1 blue moon on my 55 gallon and the coraline grows great as well as the polyps, mushrooms, and leathers. I run them 12 hrs a day with very good results.

I've used all three bulbs mentioned at one time or another IMO the URI bulbs are the best ones. For leathers and LPS I would go with the actinic white.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos
ICQ 56222784

Hey thanks everyone!Looks like I have two choices now.Just a couple of questions, SteveJ is the blue moon bulb an actinic blue blub? The ads I have seen arent really clear, I think they mention more about a moonlite like affect.Fox ,you mention an actinic white , is this similar to what other companies call a 50/50 bulb? How do you think a combo of URI Aqua Sun and Actinic blue would perform? At the present time I have only a 2 bulb reflector so I think its important to try to start out with the right combination. Again thanks to everyone!!! Mike

why are coralife bulbs bad? Im upgrading from tritons and marineglos to VHOs...what bulbs should I use??

josie,
i would go with the uri bulbs, just because i used just about every bulb out there and found that these are the best, IME of course :). when i started out in the hobby i used corallife and then switched to tritons and blue moons, which did a great job btw. i then used the hagen line of bulbs, power glow, life glow and marine glow?, which were not worth the money. i then decided to move up to vhos and bought a whole kit with the uri bulbs included. IMO vhos are very under rated and can do damn good for just about any coral, just dont expect them to color up like with MH.
just my opinion,
simon

wow you have done almost exactly what I am doing now.I started off with the same bulbs and are now using the tritons and marine glos. I was just researching the uri...do you know about the spectrum of these? I want to stay away from the red in the spectrum as much as I can.Here is another question about this upgrade of mine... will the corals "freek" when I put the VHOs on the tank? what kind of algae bloom am I going to cause?

Fox,
I've heard of the URI actinic white and actinic blue which are supposed to really good bulbs. No place around here has them, they all carry coralife except for one which has the tritons and blue moons. Would I get the same intensity from the URI bulbs. The tritons are extremely bright. Will one of each of the URI's support the leathers, shrooms, and polyps I have now? The ones I use now are not VHO but are twice as bright as a coralife bulb.

MEC,

I have not used the 50/50 bulbs, so I can't say what they are like. I use the actinic 03 and actinic white bulbs and they are a great combination.

Josie,

Coralife bulbs are known to burn out prematurely. Most of their products are condsidered junk by most people who have been in the hobby for a while.

FOX

------------------
angelfire.com/ak3/korysreef.htm

MEC,
The blue moons are an actinic bulb with an extra feature. They provide UV and UVA light.
Most actinics only provide UV. This might explain why I have gotton the growth with them.

The 50/50 and actinic white are the same type of spectrum, a mix of daylight and actinic in one bulb.
When I sold coralife at work they had the hightest bad return rate of any bulb I have ever dealt with. Once I went thru 3 coralife actinic bulbs (all brand new) before finding one that would actually light up.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos
ICQ 56222784

Ok I guess its time for some credit card abuse!! Thanks to everyone , I guess I will go with the Triton, Blue Moon set up. :) Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back