Trouble with denitrator

johnm92172

Have the Korallin s1502 running on a 115 gallon 3/4 cylinder fish only tank. Nitrates are about 50. The filter has been running for about 6 weeks. At first effluent had nitrites through the roof. Then gradually they went to 0 and so did the nitrate, But the tank nitrates remains at 50ppm. after a week or 2 of that, I increased the drops to about 2 drops per second, and after a day the nitrates in the tank went to 0. 2 days later the nitrates are back up to 50, and now the effluent went to 50. I slowed the rate to about 1 drop per second, and now the effluent is 0 again, but the tank remains at 50. The filter is about half full of sulphur and the rest aragonite. What can the issue be? I used an Aquamaxx TS1 on another tank in the past and never had a problem. Is there possibly not enough sulphur?

Not that familiar with those units but, fish only systems will run very high on nitrates.
Years ago before testing became a thing most if not all FO tanks were above 100 ppm and there were no problems. 50 is not bad at all, just don't have it bouncing around, settle on a parameter & keep it there.

Not that familiar with those units but, fish only systems will run very high on nitrates.
Years ago before testing became a thing most if not all FO tanks were above 100 ppm and there were no problems. 50 is not bad at all, just don't have it bouncing around, settle on a parameter & keep it there.

Didnt mind the 50ppm, problem is is that its creating algae everywhere in the tank really ruining the beauty of it all.

Back