Truvu 20L convert sump

DloG

I'm in the process of making a sump and I have a old 20L Truvu tank that I was thinking I could convert to a sump. Only problem is that the support top that it has is too wide and would make it hard to fit a skimmer and work on it.

Has everyone every just cut the top off these acrylic tanks or trimmed it down a bunch? Is this safe or not safe to do?

mumapupe.jpg

I would think you could trim it bigger. If you are going to use acrylic for baffles and use weldon to bond them in, you would then have more support on the sides than the original top. Just my thoughts, I have played with quite a bit of acrylic.

I would think you could trim it bigger. If you are going to use acrylic for baffles and use weldon to bond them in, you would then have more support on the sides than the original top. Just my thoughts, I have played with quite a bit of acrylic.

In that picture I haven't trimmed it down at all yet but will get getting rid a lot of it...
That is a great idea. I'll probably use a thicker acrylic for the baffles to maximize the support. You're also right on with using the Weldon, that will be the key for making this work.

I did this to my 46 gallon Tru Vu. I left a 1" "rim" around the top. The baffles will help support the sides.
I can post a pic if you are interested.
Good Luck.

Back