trying to figure out the lighting

Treed

Im setting up a 75 gallon seahorse tank with a lot of macro algaes and I was thinking about doing a t5 fixture. Is this a good idea if I was to do like 3
6500k and 3 blue actinic(so the colors look good)?

That is fine. I'd suggest Blue+ from ATI, also 6 bulbs may be a little intense. The more 6500's you have the browner and yellower everything will look. I'm using 2 Aquablue (12000k), 2 Blue+, and a Fiji Purple with pretty nice growth over my 100g. Keep in mind plants use blue spectrum to photosynthesize so blue bulbs help growth as well.

Try a couple of 6500's and mix some 10k bulbs and blue/actinic for a nice look. I don't like the look of even one 6500 added to that mix I have because it's so yellow. I have two GE daylights sitting unused next to my tank in favor of cooler bulbs.

Mix and match to see what you like. I think you'll probably end up sticking with just one 6500 because you'll see all the others have to balance it out to provide a more pleasing look.

Well I ended up on BRS and seen a nice fixture with either 4 or 8 bulbs..Im thinking about ging with the 4 b/c you get 25% off bulbs and that sounds like a good deal. I have some nice flame algae and another red one that is in my refug waiting to go to the seahorse tank but i got to figure out lights first. So Im thinking maybe a little less lighting so i dont make them turn brown?

4 bulbs will be fine. Most reds will lose color as the light gets brighter because they slow down production of red pigments in favor of other pigments to utilize higher light.

Okay so Im going to go with the fixture from BRS and get the bulbs since they are 25% off when you get the fixture but Im not sure what 4 will be the best choice. I was thinking of 2 6k's, actinic plus then another blue of some kind. Does this sound like a good idea? The tank is in the living room so I dont want to much blue so thats why I was thinking 2 6k's.

Back