Tswifty's Custom 40g Rimless Build Thread

So sorry to hear about this!

I can completely understand how you feel about having to go back to frags after watching those corals grow into true colonies after only a year. It sucks. That being said, having a frag of a special coral is better then losing the whole thing, right?

Yeah I am happy I didn't take a 100% loss. Some of the nicer corals just grow painfully slow though. Also, some of my pieces were the last remaining as the person I purchased frags from lost their original colonies. So those ones are gone and forgotten now.

I think my reefing resume is about 100% complete now, as I don't think there is much I haven't experienced in this hobby now. :lol: :(

Shot in the dark but I've tried to find what wattage you metal halide was over the 40 gallon. I built a similar conduit mount and my 40 breeder isn't nearly as bright. I'm running a 250 watt Hamilton hqi with a 14k phoenix. At 10 inches above the water level. If your still around, what was the fixture bulb temp and wattage over the 40 cube? Thanks

I ran 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k DE bulbs, Lumen Max Elite reflectors and 2 x 250 watt PFO HQI ballasts. Early on I ran the same bulbs with the standard PFO reflectors. Tried 1 at first, added a second, then eventually upgraded and settled on the 2 Lumen Max Elite reflectors.

Each set up had its pros and cons.

I ran 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k DE bulbs, Lumen Max Elite reflectors and 2 x 250 watt PFO HQI ballasts. Early on I ran the same bulbs with the standard PFO reflectors. Tried 1 at first, added a second, then eventually upgraded and settled on the 2 Lumen Max Elite reflectors.

Each set up had its pros and cons.
Awesome thank you. I have dual Hamilton reefs star pendants hqi 250 watt Phoenix 14k. Started with one but I think I need another. Thank you for the reply! I built a similar hanger to yours. Does your hood have both bulbs in it on the conduit hanger?

Hey T, how's it hangin???? Where are you now??? :wave:
Hey Jesse. Things are going well. I moved into the city a while back, and have been working out in Cranberry for a few years now. Unfortunately I haven't had the time for a tank since I started out there. I'll be back, just not sure when.

How've you been?

Last edited:
Awesome thank you. I have dual Hamilton reefs star pendants hqi 250 watt Phoenix 14k. Started with one but I think I need another. Thank you for the reply! I built a similar hanger to yours. Does your hood have both bulbs in it on the conduit hanger?
It all depends what look you're after, and what you're trying to keep. I actually liked the look of my tank a little better with only 1 pedant, and got some amazing colors out of my LPS and palys, but since I was an SPS addict, there just wasn't enough coverage throughout the entire tank to for what I planned to do.

As far as the light rack goes... I built a couple different ones for the tank. I did build a hood when I was considering adding VHO's, but never ended up using it, or the VHO's. I stuck with the conduit concept, and just built a sturdier version which connected on both sides and supported the weight of both pendants better.

Things are good. Thinking about a change for the tank. I guess four years is long enough. Some things are beginning to get a little out of hand. My leathers have been dropping offspring for the past couple years and they are beginning to take up too much room. My nem is getting too big, but hasn't split so the combination makes it annoying. The sps are alot easier to thin, so I just may go full sps and be done with it. Let me know when you get back into it. I'll put some stuff together for you.

About a year ago I bought TJ's setup before he moved to North Carolina, and will be starting it pretty soon. This has been a long read but a good reference for the tank's history and possibilities! I know that I don't want to do MH lighting... I want to try LEDs. Any suggestions on a single fixture which would cover this tank's footprint well?

Back