Tuning Tank Parameters

collegereefs

I tested my, now, coral QT tank after letting it sit empty for a month after fish, below are the results:

Nitrate and PH measured using API tests. dKH, Magnesium, and Calcium measured using Red Sea Foundation Pro. Salinity measured by taste, or if you don't believe that a refractometer.

Nitrate ~0
Alk 10.4 DKH
Calcium 390
Mg 1320
ph ~8.4
Salinity 1.023

Compared to where I am planning on getting coral, my calcium is low, my Alk is high, and my salinity is low. These are the listed parameters listed on the website:

PH 7.8 to 8.3
Temp 75-82
Salinity 1.027
Alkalinity 6.5-8.5 DKH
Magnesium 1350
Calcium 420-440
Nitrate .01-10 ppm

What can I do to bring my alk down and calc up?

Last edited:
The alkalinity might drop on its own, given some time and some coralline algae growth. I'd let evaporation bring up the SG, and work from there. Calcium chloride is fine for dosing just calcium. That'll be useful to maintain and raise the calcium level while letting alkalinity fall.

Yes dont forget Coraline in a new tank will uptake ALK like crazy once its going. I was dropping 2DKH a day just from coraline (no corals in tank). If it was me for a fish only tank, id test and dose twice a week just to be safe starting out.
Since im going for stability and adding corals, then test the same time every day. Write it down.

Back