Tuning two Stream 3 for wave on 6' peninsula

Zalick

My reef tanks my wallet
Hi Roger,
I've been running two Stream 3s on my 300g deep dimension. For those reading, it's 6'L x 3'w x 27"h.

I have both pumps on one end pointing towards the other end. They are about 9" off the sand bed and angled up about 30 deg. I have the focused flow attachment on both.

I love these pumps and love the flow but I can't seem to tune a back and forth wave.

Do you have any tips on basic settings to start and then how to adjust from there? Ie min/Max and on/off time?

Thanks!

The critical points will be. max flow at 100%, min flow at 5% (pump cannot turn off!). Point them at each other and set up inverse mode on the slave pump, you will use two pumps. Then use Auto adjust to tune in the wave.

Thanks Roger!

Is it possible to do it with both pumps on the same end but opposite sides?
The way the peninsula us setup, it's preferable to not have pumps on the opposite end.

73a24844c390a0292b0c215dc7e577de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You could try, you would then not use inverse, generally the biggest wave results from a pull/push arrangement, but a smaller wave should be possible with both on the same end.

Thanks Roger.

I put the pumps on opposing ends but couldn't make the wave in the Tunze video.

Do I need a Y connector? I followed the instructions in the manual but it didn't work.

The tank in the video is no different than such displays at most shows, a long tank ideally suited to a maximum wave was chosen and the pumps are optimally placed. The Y cable will make no difference, it only allows the photocell to be added. Can I get a photo of how the controllers are set up? You should be able to get a wave, but the results shown in videos and shows are not "cheated" but everything was set up specifically to make a huge wave, and the result in a real reef tank that is wider and shorter will not be the same, especially with less than optimal pump placement. I would expect something like 1/2"- 3/4" as realistic given the very wide tank and placement of pumps.

Thanks Roger. So just to clarify, these are the steps I need to take:
1. Connect the pumps together with a single cable.
2. Set one pump to inverse mode by pressing the food timer for 5 seconds.
3. On master pump, set to auto adjust per instructions
4. Once wave frequency reached, select "wave ok"

Should I use the originally wide flow attachment or the newer focused?

Also, how high should pumps be placed and should they be perfectly horizontal or angled up slightly?

Thanks again for all your help!

Also, both of your pumps are on the same side, facing the same way, so you do not want inverse mode, they both need to be synchronously timed.

Back