Tunze 6025 Mod & Sea Swirl

NewSchool04

A couple of pics of my Tunze 6025 mod and connection to my two 3/4" Swirls. The Tunze mod has been out there for a couple of months now with a ton of success.

The thread that started the Tunze mod is here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1025361
What I did plus more mods for even more flow, check it out, it's good info.

Well here is my try at it! I cut the plastic tube inside the 6025, my buddy has a dremel and it cut through it like butter! From what is reported, flow increase should be around 300 - 400 gph!

CIMG4456.jpg

CIMG4457.jpg

My return pump is a Mag12 and that's not going to be enough for two Swirls so I decided to keep the return plumbing as is and just mod the two swirls to carry the new modded Tunze 6025.
I took off the 90 elbow and replaced with two 1" PVC caps. These things are extremely snug and I have all the confidence that they will hold. I used two part epoxy to glue the swing bracket to the 1" cap. Now my pump can be turned anyway that I want as it swings and it will be super easy to disconnect for cleaning.

CIMG4459.jpg

CIMG4460.jpg

CIMG4462.jpg

I wish I had black or even grey PVC but I couldn't wait. I know that this will be covered by corraline quickly so no worries.

I haven't tried it out yet, it's still drying! I'll get back once I have them going!!!

Last edited:
One thing I experienced: over time, the coupler you have on the swirl will, due to the weight and the torque (I guess) from the swivel, come loose. You might think of putting a nylon set screw through the coupler and just dimple the oscillating pipe on the swirl.

Also, I had this happen a couple times: a large stiped turbo snail would wedge itself into a spot such that when the motion brought the pump to just the right spot, it would press against the snail and the whole mount would fall off the swirl. Then you have to hope it isn't pointing up (mine never has) to fry your lights with spraying water. If it doesn't, you bore a gigantic hole in your sandbed (assumptions here) with your modded-Tunze pointing down.

I have MJ mods on my swirl (only on one after adding the wavebox) and love it.

Lookin' good! BTW: I just restarted my modded Tunze 6025 for the 3rd time and this is the 3rd time the darn thing started in reverse since I modded it :confused:

Hey Garen, how loud is your 6025? Mine makes a definite humming sound, pretty loud. I'm wondering if there is a quick fix to that problem.

It really isn't a big deal! I believe you've seen my video on my website?

yeah I saw the video! That was a big reason I decided to do this.

I have one going right now and it's doing great. I ran into a problem mounting the swirl where I want to, not enough room between the back of the tank and wall. Well the wall is fine, it's the window trim that is killing me. I need to head out to home depot and see if I can find some longer nylon screws for the bracket on the swirl. If not, They will have to be side to side in the middle of the tank. Not what I originally wanted but it will work.

"does it self correct itself Garen?"

No, for some reason, mine won't self-correct. The other people in the mod thread don't really seem to be having this problem, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'll probably have to do that other mod they discuss in the thread, about putting a rod in there so I don't have this problem.

All 4 of mine are noisy. Some more than others. On the mod thread, one guy claims that placing a cloth between the outside glass and the outside magnet will rememdy this problem. Didn't bother trying it myself b/c the sound of my external pumps drowned out the noise of the 6025's :)

Mine isn't loud b/c of the magnet, the pump is just a little loud.

Did you put your hand over the pump to get it going the other way?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9885043#post9885043 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ostrow
One thing I experienced: over time, the coupler you have on the swirl will, due to the weight and the torque (I guess) from the swivel, come loose. You might think of putting a nylon set screw through the coupler and just dimple the oscillating pipe on the swirl.

Also, I had this happen a couple times: a large stiped turbo snail would wedge itself into a spot such that when the motion brought the pump to just the right spot, it would press against the snail and the whole mount would fall off the swirl. Then you have to hope it isn't pointing up (mine never has) to fry your lights with spraying water. If it doesn't, you bore a gigantic hole in your sandbed (assumptions here) with your modded-Tunze pointing down.

I have MJ mods on my swirl (only on one after adding the wavebox) and love it.

Do you have any ideas on how to keep the power cord out of the way but also give it enough play to sweep back and forth? I have it taped on top of the swirl now but that doesn't look like a long term fix.

I have it sort of looped over the top of the swirl box and that seems to work. I've tried to get a pic of that but can't get an angle that shows it well.

I don't. I leave it slack so that when it rotates it gets the length it needs.....

Back