Tunze 9001 sliding down into tank

tammieh

I have a gently used RSM 130D to replace the one that decided to start leaking while I was on vacation. I read a lot about the Tunze 9001 and decided to upgrade the skimmer in the new tank (going to fix my old tank and left all the upgrades in it).

The Tunze 9001 is silent which is great ... I love it except it keeps sliding down into the water, and then of course it doesn't work. I have it located on the back right side of the back chamber so the magnet is in the electrical area (thank goodness I left that open as I'm working on the upgrades - yes everything is dry and safe). I can't place the skimmer on the left side in the back as the divider for the heater would place the skimmer too low in the water. I'm just surprised the magnet isn't holding the skimmer in place. I've put stuff on magnets in the same spot on my old tank and they always held just fine.

Is there a fix for this? Anywhere maybe I can get an extra magnet set to attach to the lower half to help hold it or maybe a stronger magnet? Or should I remove the magnet from the side and attach to the back so it's held on that way?

Are the silicon rings around the magnets in place and do you have a way to verify they are lined up? The magnet holder than comes with a 9001 should work on up to 1/2" glass.

I changed the magnet on the outside for one from a big koralia pump that I'm not currently using and it's still in place. hmmm. It's working. My husband is laughing at me and all the time I'm spending on this little tank.

I just purchased my first tunze skimmer 9001 and it is bubbling though the top, aerosolizing salt spray everywhere and adjusting the air clamp does not alter it, nor does elevating it above water level. It has been 20 hours and I put a bowl over the skimmate cup to prevent the spray. Any suggestions? I have never had a skimmer before

I am not clear on what you are describing.

Is the skimmer submerged up to the marked water line? If the water level is any less than about 5.5" of the skimmer submerged in the tank, it will make a mist that would go everywhere if the cup was removed.

Is it just bubbles popping through the holes in the cup lid? I would make sure that the airline is attached to the fitting that attaches to the pump. As you close the air screw you should see a drop in air flow, however, the total flow stays about the same so the water increases and it may seem to be "boiling" at about the same speed as a result.

Additional details or photos, especially how long the tank has been set up and any additives that have been used would be very helpful.

Back