TUNZE 9002 or AQUAC URCHIN

SGT_DAO

trying to decide which of the two to upgrade to for my 29G mixed reef. i would like to know your inputs

Do you have a sump? If so I wouldn't go with either one. The Tunze is much better than the Aqua C however.

48 views and 1 comment? come on people...i'm sure you guys are running these and could leave me a review

Yes I have sump. I like both because of the small footprint.

If it's definitely between the two, the Tunze is far and away the better choice. I've had both. The Tunze is a much better performer, quieter, and uses less wattage.

Yes it does, most of these types of skimmers are affected by water level, it can be a little difficult to get the air/bubble adjustment right during the break-in period but after that it's set and forget. I'm going to mod my airline soon (Check youtube video under Tunze 9002 mod) it will make the skimmer quieter and make the adjustment knob easier to reach.

The tunze has a water level line marked on the body of it. It's about an inch down from the top of the black body of the skimmer if I recall correctly.
By the way, the tunze gets my vote as well. I just got one for my Nano 28 and I'm currently running it in my sump of my 90 to break it in until my StevieT collection cup gets here on Thursday. The little skimmer is sucking out all sorts of gunk already and it's only been running for a few days. Great little skimmer.

I have the tunze 9002 and it works great as long you watch the water level. It's very very sensitive to the level. I've also just recently found out there may be a false floor in the second chamber that I was supposed to remove. Which I didn't so I had to cut the lid to get it to fit properly.

Maybe I just never had the water level right on mine...only got an inconsistent wet skim. Might try it again on my nano, though.

I have a Aqua C Urchin Pro in my sump and I love it. No water lever to mess with, and you only have to adjust the basket depth to play with how you want it to skim.

Maybe I just never had the water level right on mine...only got an inconsistent wet skim. Might try it again on my nano, though.

I'm struggling with that same problem right now. I've had my 9002 running for over 6 weeks, and I'm just not getting anywhere. I even did this mod to improve airflow adjustment. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a Aqua C Urchin Pro in my sump and I love it. No water lever to mess with, and you only have to adjust the basket depth to play with how you want it to skim.

this is the reason i want the Urchin, no level to mess with. the only thing is that is so tall. what's the height on it? i hear alot of negative comments on trying to adjust the 9002....

Back