tunze 9010 sump use question

jsong

My water level is 10.5" in my sump which is maintained with an auto-topoff system.

Question: Due to limited space in the sump, I don't want to use the extension kit. Do I still need to mount the skimmer to the side of the glass or can I run it just sitting in the sump?

thanks.

rvitko

RC Sponsor
RC Sponsor
Yes, you can mount it sitting in the sump but you should remove the 9010.35 "cap with cover". Otherwise the water won't drain efficiently as the bottom plate will be blocked by the bottom glass. Otherwise use it exactly as it comes.

jsong

Thanks! I installed it as you suggested and the foam's not rising into the cup yet but I noticed that the bubbles are alot finer and more plentiful than when I was running it with the sump extension kit...I should have run it like this earlier.

rvitko

RC Sponsor
RC Sponsor
It can take a day for a foam head to build assuming it is an established tank with substances that can be skimmed out and the sediment load is not so high that it is interfering. Also be sure that the skimmer is submerged to within 1" of the marked water line or this instal cannot work at all. If the cause is not lack of substances to be skimmed or a lot of sediment in the water or built up in the skimmer then the venturi nozzle is likely faulty or the airline is pinched or kinked.

itsdarrow

i have had my 9015 setup for 4 days. its making bubbles but just at the bottom of the cup and hasnt risen or produced any skimmate. This cup seems huge so the foam only coming up to bottom of the neck worries me a bit especially since it hasnt moved more than 1/4inch in 4 days

rvitko

RC Sponsor
RC Sponsor
Have you checked the venturi nozzle? We had a bad batch of nozzles last year, they can be spotted easily because the hose will just fall out of the nozzle with minimal effort. The nipple from the hose should insert half way and fit very snug. Another culprit is a broken nozzle. I will post pics.

rvitko

RC Sponsor
RC Sponsor
If it comes apart like this-

787IMG_0156.jpg

it is broken.

This is how it should come apart-

787IMG_0155.jpg

itsdarrow

yep i deffinetly have the broken one!
Well im glad i at least know what my problem is :]

I thought that it was supposed to come like that. Do you have a replacement part? is it just that nozzle or is it a impeller as well, i having the same exact issues that the poster on the "9015 - Help" thread.

Last edited:

itsdarrow

Got the Part today, installed it and there is a viable difference in bubble production i will update when i see that i have some skimmate.