tunze 9410 DOC skimmer?

greg10

Premium Member
I'm looking at replacing my magus curve with the tunze 9410 DOC skimmer.

There are a few options available for this skimmer

Pros are, it's supposed to be more easily tunable and reduced power consumption

Did you have a specific question?

Not sure which Curve you have but the
Tunze 9410 draws 16watts..
Curve 7 draws 16 watts.. Power consumption is equal there
Curve 9 is 20 watts.. Very minor difference unlikely to find an ROI on that alone

Thanks for the response

I have the magus 9, I got it used. I was told the pump had issues, but I've been using it anyway.

I've been struggling to get the magus consistently tuned. It will produce nothing, then overflow.

I'm thinking this may be a better option. However, the 9410 comes in two options, the more expensive including a hydrofoamer.

should I switch to the 9410?
if so, which option should I get?

I think you have it backwards....

Hydrofoamer (fancy marketing term really) is on the AC pump (9410.000)..
The more expensive of the 2 is the DC pump option (9410.001) ..

"DC" pumps for the most part give you a "Cool factor" and some additional fine tuning adjustability.
There is typically some energy savings there too but that doesn't seem to match their stated wattage ranges (29W for DC and 15 for AC?) of course the DC pump is unlikely to be run at full blast..

I would check the actual current draw of the Bubble Magus skimmer pumps on a Kill-A-Watt meeter to verify its actual power consumption. There a thread on the other forum where people are actually seeing 71 watts drawn for the Curve 7 as opposed to the 16 watts advertised and 40 watts drawn for the Curve 5 as opposed to the 8 watts advertised. I’ve owned the Tunze 9410 DC and its advertised current draw was accurate according to my 2016 Apex power monitoring.

Go with the Tunze 9410 DC... it’s truly a set and forget skimmer. Unfortunately, I had to sell mine because I couldn’t get it to fit properly in my Trigger 26 Sump. :(

Back