Tunze ATO 3155 vs. Controller??

Hi guys!

I'm hoping for some advice. I am planning and indeed trying to buy a few things for a new tank build during the big Black Friday sales at BRS, Marine Depot, etc. Right now I'm 99% sure I'm going to order an IM Nuvo Black 40 gallon tank (this is not the all-in-one), I'm choosing between a Synergy Reef overflow or a Modular Marine overflow setup BeanAnimal style with the drains, and I'm leaning towards a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer. Those three things I'm basically 99% sure I want. Lighting is still up in the air, and it didn't seem like the lights I wanted are on sale right now, so that's not a pressing issue.

Today I really turned my attention to looking into an ATO system, and I think I've decided that the best ATO system for me is the Tunze Osmolator 3155. However, somewhere in my reading someone mentioned that really it's not that much more expensive to step into an entry level controller like an Apex Jr. or Reefkeeper lite. I really know nothing about the controllers, except they seem like a bit of a luxury to a budget-minder reefkeeper like myself, and was the kind of thing I'd add "down the road". But, they are cool, and im particularly interested in those that have used the Raspberry Pi Single Board Computer to build their own aquarium controllers.

So I'd like to ask if someone could please give me a bit of a crash course on entry level controllers, only because I would like to get an order placed during the sales event. Would I be better off in the long run getting an Apex Jr. instead of an ATO system? I already have a couple Aqua Lifter pumps from a previous adventure, one of which I think is brand new. What else do I need to have the controller handle my top offs, besides a reservoir, tubing, etc.?

And in a perfect world I was thinking of lighting this tank with one AI Hydra26, but there were a fair amount of complaints about the wifi not working correctly. I also believe that these AI Primes/Hydras cannot be used with a controller like an Apex, you have to use their web based software (which would be fine if its reliable). But let me just ask, if I do decide to get a controller sooner than later, should I steer away from AI lighting? Am I correct that they can't be controlled by another controller?

What would you guys do? Go with the Tunze ATO 3155, or maybe start looking at an inexpensive (used?) controller? Any advice you could offer would be really appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for the help!

-RCF

Controllers are certainly not needed, and should be considered a luxury item if your budget minded. They do make some things easier, but again many very beautiful tanks run without one.

An ATO is my mind is a must, but again it can be done by hand. If it were me, I would buy the ATO.

And I'm going to go the opposite way. I would put the money towards a Apex so you can expand as you build and or upgrade. A controller can make daily tasks so much easier and the safety/backup factor alone is worth it to me.
And yes the Apex can control Hydra lights but only the None HD, it's how I control my 26's with AWM module.

Hey guys! Thanks again for all the replies! I'm really interested in trying to build my own controller system, so for now I think I'm going to get the Tunze 3155 ATO, and look into the controllers later. Right now, that seems like a luxury that can wait and be added on later.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

-RCF

Back