Tunze COM 9010 questions:Airline hose, foam piece, water outlet

ser_renely

I Just set up my Tunze 9010 skimmer(already skimming)and wanted/hoping I could add an airline tube to get air from outside.

Does anyone have any idea how I would do this, or if it is possible? I would think it is but not sure the best way to do it. I don't think putting an air hose on the ozone adapter would be of much help in getting it fresh air. I was thinking of extending the hose to the pump to the outside and having a air valve control screw on that?

The foam piece that is on the elbow of the water exit: does that need to be there for anything? I just don't want any more nitrate farms in my tank and am hoping I can take it out.

Also, there is a little hole in the top back of the body where water pours out, it is not mentioned in the instructions was curious as to what it is for? Is that cleaned(skimmed) water or uncleaned?

Thanks,
Ser

Hi ser_renely,

Does anyone have any idea how I would do this, or if it is possible? I would think it is but not sure the best way to do it. I don't think putting an air hose on the ozone adapter would be of much help in getting it fresh air. I was thinking of extending the hose to the pump to the outside and having a air valve control screw on that?

It will work mind you, you will have to drill a hole through two pieces of plastic. And run tubing from your silencer through both hole's. This mod will probably hurt the resale value. So if your committed to the skimmer I say go for it. This is the way I have all 3 of mine done. I use a **** valve to control the air.

The foam piece that is on the elbow of the water exit: does that need to be there for anything? I just don't want any more nitrate farms in my tank and am hoping I can take it out.

It's just used to control micro bubbles for sump use.

Also, there is a little hole in the top back of the body where water pours out, it is not mentioned in the instructions was curious as to what it is for? Is that cleaned(skimmed) water or uncleaned?

To regulate water or pressure within the skimmer. Roger told me once what it did but for the life of me I can't remember. It's one of the two perhaps Roger will chime in on this.

In our skimmers we use water as a gasket to seal the cup, the hole in the back is there to keep the correct water level for this purpose.

If you connect an air hose with a small air pump to the small nipple on the skimmer, it will pump fresh air into the chamber under the cup which is where the air intake occurs. I would use a small 50-100l/hr air pump for this purpose.

Thanks for the input guys :)

So something like the "Tom Aquatics Stellar Air Pumps" that does 1.40l/m(minute) at 2.90psi would work?

Back