tunze nano wavebox

shaggy14

would one of these be sufficient flow for an sps tank? the tank is 60Lx20Hx18W
im just tired of having several powerheads hooked up to all my plugs that could be used for other goodies =)
right now i am running 2xkoralia3's, 2xkoralia nano's, 1xkoralia 4, and was going to use 2 modded mj 1200's
the specs say it is good up to 158g tank, but just looking for someone that has experience with this.

With the wavebox you still need a power head for directional flow. The 6206 will work on your tank as long as you don't have rock covered 3/4 of the tank :D

I would not consider the wave box for flow. It should purely be used for wave making. Obviously this motion is beneficial to sps and attractive to look at but it cannot replace, at all, the job of a powerhead (particularly when discussing the needs of sps)

so how many powerheads would you recommend to go along with it? i was thinking of selling some of the ones listed above to help cushion the cost of the nano, but i could keep a couple of them if needed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14205133#post14205133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
I would not consider the wave box for flow. It should purely be used for wave making. Obviously this motion is beneficial to sps and attractive to look at but it cannot replace, at all, the job of a powerhead (particularly when discussing the needs of sps)

Seriously?

If I turn all my powerheads off and leave just my wavebox on, I have found it does more for my tank in terms of water movement than all the powerheads combined easily. Not only do my sps polyps flow back and forth but it pulls detritus out from behind rocks and places powerheads could never touch.

I think they go along way in increasing flow in a tank. Which one are you using? Maybe its underpowered for your tank?

^ thats what i thought after watching the videos on youtube. none of my corals have ever experienced that kind of movement.lol but i have had several people on this and other forums say the same thing. maybe its because the currents it creates are so short that they dont give new flow to corals, just the same part over and over

I dont have a wavebox. But it makes sense that the type of flow they generate is the most common type corals experience.

Tidal flow is only strong for a few hours a day. Waves make up the majority of the flow.

I may be total wrong here but it seems logical

I have the regular wavebox on my 125 and love the way it operates (hate the size). There is a photo cell on it that only runs during the hours the tank is lighted, not sure if the nano has it. So I have to have powerheads for when the lights go out (actually they are on always) I had wave splashing over the other side of the tank yesterday :) with the wavebox, they are very powerfull

Back