Turnover rate?

depends on what your keeping, and if you talking about total turn over or in tank turn over or just turn over through your sump

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12584803#post12584803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna
depends on what your keeping, and if you talking about total turn over or in tank turn over or just turn over through your sump

I want the tank to have some of the easier coral such as mushrooms and leathers to start out with and some fish of course.

I would like to know both the total tank turn over and through my sump.

a general rule for return flow (through the sump) is 8x to 10x the systems water volume. personally i try to have the flow through the sump just a little bit faster then what my skimmer pulls in so that almost all the water comming from the tank go's through the skimmer before going back through the tank. so if your skimmer pulls 400gph i would pick a return pump with a gph of about 450 accounting for head.

in tank turnover (return pump + power heads) for mushrooms and softies should be good at about 20x tank volume. you can go a little more if you like.

also when picking a return pump take into account the capacity of your over flow and dont go over it

I have a 1500 gph return pump it seems to have a nice flow to it when it goes back into my tank is this too much?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12584923#post12584923 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna
a general rule for return flow (through the sump) is 8x to 10x the systems water volume. personally i try to have the flow through the sump just a little bit faster then what my skimmer pulls in so that almost all the water comming from the tank go's through the skimmer before going back through the tank. so if your skimmer pulls 400gph i would pick a return pump with a gph of about 450 accounting for head.

in tank turnover (return pump + power heads) for mushrooms and softies should be good at about 20x tank volume. you can go a little more if you like.

Im still kinda confused I really dont understand how you tell how much 20x the tank olum would it be. Would you mutliply 75 time 20? Sorry I just want to learn how to figure it out thanks

I am beginning to see that PLACEMENT of pumps is just as important as (if not, more than) the GPH. I could have great pumps, but if not in the right place, it doesn't matter....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12585289#post12585289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smspring
I am beginning to see that PLACEMENT of pumps is just as important as (if not, more than) the GPH. I could have great pumps, but if not in the right place, it doesn't matter....
very true, you can have alot of pumps but if you still have alot of dead spots they are worthless.

magga, what pump do you have that is pumping 1500 in your tank? if you are still using the MAG 12 that you were having problems with then after headloss its probably only pushing 1000gph

I went and got a new Mag12 and that was leaking so I played around with the screws so it doesnt leak too much I still have some tweaking to do with it

Back