Turtle or Shoal Grass?

Puffygrrl

Premium Member
I recently picked up a bundle of "sea grass" from a local LFS. I am having some problems trying to discover exactly what species it is and what it requirements are. From what I have learned so far, it is Turtle or Shoal grass, but can't find close enough pictures to differentiate between the two. Does anyone have either of these species in their tank or can post a close up of either/both?

Also, are there any specific requirements in an established reef aquarium?

Thanks so much in advance :)

Here's a picture of Turtle Grass, Thallasia testudinum.

32sea_grass_and_sponges.jpg

http://www.floridaoceanographic.org/environ/seagrass7.htm]Link[/url] to Shoal Grass info ;)

Ok! Thanks Billsreef...that's what I got. Is that your tank? If so, your grass looks in great condition. I have had some die off since adding it (don't know if its from bad planting or something else). Any special requirements or secrets to making these guys thrive?

Bright light, aged "dirty" sand beds and iron supplementation are my tricks. In newer tanks with clean sand beds, you can use some of the plant fertilizer tablets for FW tanks to help boost some root growth. Oh, and yes that is one of my tanks ;)

Right on! I have it in the sandbed of an 80-gallon year old reef with 3 - 96 watt PC lights over it.

Although some is doing well, in others the tips are turning brown and a couple have uprooted - or maybe I didn't root them well enough. How deep in the bed should I be putting the roots?

get the roots at least in inch deep, two would be better ;) Not unusual for the tips to grow brown, you should see some new growth coming up in a couple of weeks.

I was considering a sea grass for my refugium... Can it handle some higher flow rates or does it need to be fairly calm. Also where would i obtain segrass i can not find it anywhere for sale.

Sea Grass can handle some high flow rates. I've seen turtle grass growing in areas where the currents were strong enough to drift dive and plan on hiking back on the beach, not swimming ;) The were to find it is a subject for PM's or email, lest I have to ban myself ;)

Back