Two ID questions

hops523

The first ID Ive already asked before, but I got a little better of a pic(but not much). Im still thinking maze brain, but I dont know.

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pics are of a coral that I got today. I thought it was a pagoda cup coral, but could it be a goniopora? I got a good deal on this because as you can tell in the middle there was some die off. Hopefully they will grow back.

000_1059.jpg

000_1057.jpg

000_1056.jpg

000_1055.jpg

Im looking at pics of them, and it seems like all of them have tentacles out. And my coral is flat, maybe the encrusting type, but more are growing up, not flat.

The first photo is not clear enough to reliably identify the coral even to the Family level. That being said, possibilities would include Platygyra, Hydnophora, and Merulina ampliata. The second is Turbinaria for sure.

Looking at the upper left portion of the first photo there is an area that to my eye looks like crosshatching of the ridge.That definitely says Merulinadae, and the lack of tentacles strongly infers Merulina amplicata.A better photo would settle it all.

Still havent seen any tentacles on this guy. Will maze brains put of tentacles when they eat? Ive fed this guy small pieces of mysis shrimp numerous times, and not once have I seen him put out a tentacle. He has a number of mouths, and when I put mysis on this guy, the closest mouth just kind of sucks in the food.

Maze Brains do extend short tentacles when feeding.The longer you don't see tentacles on this piece the more likely that it is Merulina.

John

Back