type of glue for frags?

jasandenaw

Curious what type of glue people use to attach frags to larger rocks. I have been using CVS Brand Super Glue Gel, and have not had a very good time at it lately. Not sure if its the choice in glue or my lack of patience that cause my problems. Please let me know if you have found a better way (or brand) for attaching frags under water. Thanks!

GlaringToast

I personally have found that if you use a slightly higher quality super glue it tends to be a little less of a headache. I don't know what they do to that dollar store cheapy super glue but you can use the whole tube only once MAYBE twice before the entire thing is sealed shut and a goopy mess. If you buy from a hobby shop or even walmart from the hobby section, try to get something in a hard plastic containter. I've had much better luck since switching to a hard plastic instead of flimsy foil container. JET super glue works great but can be a bit expensive, I think I get mine for $4 a bottle, maybe less but my room mate is a manager at hobby bench.

jasandenaw

So typically any super glue gel type is good? I just don't want to poison my tank. Haha that would be worse than non-sticking frags. I'll check a hobby store... more expen$ive is ok as long as it works better (even a little) THANKS!

GlaringToast

Cyanoacrylate is reef safe. I've used non-gel super glue as well, it's just not quite as effective because it doesn't "clump" like the gel.

frontosa_man80

PROP member
i use Boston Aqua Farms Thicker Reef Glue. it works great and it cost less in the long run.

btw it comes in clear and purple.

-jesse

Garage1217

GET OFF MY LAWN
For frags, I use superglue GEL. I get it in 3 packs at the doller store :) Works great and sets up quick! A $1 3 pack does about 25-30 frags.

For larger rocks, I use Aquamend epoxy. Takes a bit to setup, but when done right, it really holds up!

truthdesigns

I use a marine epoxy from ACE and superglue.
I smash the two part epoxy together then I add some super glue GEL to the bottom of my frag then I push the Epoxy on there and also add some more super glue to the bottom of the epoxy then i press it on my rock work. Works perfectly just got to watch your skimmer it will go crazy after using the two part marine epoxy!
Hope this helps.

Garage1217

GET OFF MY LAWN
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14823638#post14823638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by frontosa_man80
i use Boston Aqua Farms Thicker Reef Glue. it works great and it cost less in the long run.

btw it comes in clear and purple.

-jesse

I have a bottle of that but I think it went bad :( It is so thick that I cannot get it out of the bottle *LOL* Still fluid, but crazy thick.

frontosa_man80

PROP member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14823665#post14823665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Garage1217
I have a bottle of that but I think it went bad :( It is so thick that I cannot get it out of the bottle *LOL* Still fluid, but crazy thick.

did you store it in the refrigerator? that's where i keep mine and after a year it still good.

-jesse

Garage1217

GET OFF MY LAWN
Notta, in a zip lock baggie. I do really like their ceramic frag disks. They work great for me and are super small so the item grows over it fast and totally covers it.

KarlBob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14823641#post14823641 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by truthdesigns
I use a marine epoxy from ACE and superglue.
I smash the two part epoxy together then I add some super glue GEL to the bottom of my frag then I push the Epoxy on there and also add some more super glue to the bottom of the epoxy then i press it on my rock work. Works perfectly just got to watch your skimmer it will go crazy after using the two part marine epoxy!
Hope this helps.
I use a similar composite technique. Frag - super glue gel - epoxy - super glue gel - live rock. Right now I'm using a cheap "As Seen on TV" epoxy instead of the marine epoxy. I've been warned, though, that some generic epoxies may include toxic ingredients, so I'll pass the warning along.

A piece of advice I picked up here on RC was to wait a few minutes after mixing the epoxy before attaching it to the frag and the live rock. Supposedly, there is a "sweet zone" between fresh mixed (doesn't hold) and too late (already hardened).

macboat

Nano simplicity
Do you guys mean that you can use super glue under water?

I use aquamend but never had a good result.

prugs

Moving Out
IC-GEL.jpg

Our club in Wisconsin gets these tubes for $4.20, but you need a large order. Yes it is a 20gram tube or 20x as much the little tubes. I like it because it doesn't harden in the tube after you use it.

Grunion

If you want a good deal on glue from a hobby shop go to franks hobby right by aqua touch. Way better deal than any of the other hobby stores, and they have every kind you could want.

KarlBob

I wonder whether the 5 Minute Epoxy on this site would be safe for use with frags? It seems like a liquid/gel epoxy might get better contact with live rock than the putty epoxy I've been using.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14832894#post14832894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ackerman
Ive used super glue under water just make sure its the gell. If u need alot of super glue these work great. Those stupid little tubes dont ever last me long enough.

I-16700 16 oz. Thick CA 700 cps
http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html