UGG High TDS

David MC Lee

Connected up my ro/di unit at the new house tonight and the TDS into the unit is 630, after the sed & carbon 510, after the ro 225 and after both DI units 0ppm.
Then I had the unit setup in Philo I came in at about 175 had 0 out of the ro and 0 out of the di unit. My di unit never did change color. I always changed them at least one a year anyway. Something tell me they are going to change fast now.
So the question is whats the best way to lower the tds? I've never really looked into it.

I saw a guy in the lighting and filtration forum that was using multiple RO units. I think he was doing it in parallel to increase water output, but doing it in series might help get it down. Also, are you sure nothing happened to the membrane in the moving process? You're getting less than 65% rejection, any decent membrane should give at least 90% with the better ones giving 98%. I'm not sure how it effects things, but I've been told that water softeners help (totally lost on the theories behind it). I know that we have an RO unit and the newspaper I work at and they have a water softener on it.

You should get well over 90% rejection...if your not...something is seriously wrong with the unit.

How is your water pressure there? Low pressure will cause problems too.....

I agree, I would check the RO membrane, but another thought as well is the water pressure. If you do not have enough water pressure going through the unit the RO membrane will not work properly. Some people have to put a booster pump before their unit to increase the water pressure going in. Do you have a pressure gauge where you can check the pressure? If not let me know, I have one you can borrow. The guys at Buckeye Field supply have been a lot of help in reference to these issues as well. Most folks will want to know your pressures entering the unit, then after your pre-filters before the membrane. So, let me know if you need the gauge.

HTH

David, I have a booster pump that I don't use. It is hooked up, but not online. You are welcome to it if you want it.

low water pressure will hurt how well your ro unit works for sure. If you have moved onto champaign water you should also look into Chloramines removal. the water has 2 ppm amonia right out of the tap.

I have a boost pump on mine and it at about 65psi.
I ordered a new ro unit today and its coming ground so I won't have it until the end of the week. I just put this one on in Feb.
I will try to check everything over tonight.

If you need it I can make some RO for you. I don't know how much you need and/or when you need it, but if you need some it isn't a problem. Just let me know.

holy crap, thats not a good rejection rate. my tap is 360ppm and after my little 24gpd coralife r.o. its down to 17 (after 6 months usage). i would definitely think it would get better after your new unit comes in. let us know!

meesh

I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. With the higher TDS
coming in, could you re-adjust your waste dump to a higher ratio than
what you were wasting in TCOTU? (The Center of the Universe)

Lowell

Well some where between Premium & Spectrapure my order was lost and the ro unit didn't ship until today so I won't have it until about Tue. of next week. Henry is going to supply me with water until then. I looked everything over on the filter and can't find anything wrong. Just looks like its bad. I paid extra the have the new one tested first.

Back