Ugh. Rbta in powerhead

dublo8

The pic pretty much explains it. Its not dead it was actually pretty happy and fully inflated up on the ph. I took the ph off it's peg and put it against the rock the nem has called home for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully it will climb off the ph and back on to the rock. Any suggestions on how to coerce it back to the rock? A little bit of it's foot is stuck in the powerhead but it's not damaged. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306552581.350249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice cube on his foot to get him to release then drop him somewhere in sand up front and let him find his way. if he goes back then i suggest moving the power head as he likes the lighting/current there

He is starting to attach his foot to the rock now, but part of his foot is still in the PH. As you can tell from the pic it's a Koralia and he's stuck in the slit. Without damaging the nem or the powerhead I have no way of getting him out of it. He hasn't moved since I first got him so I found it weird, but then again I forgot to return my powerhead timer back to normal timed operation after some maintenance the other day, so they were on all night long. Not sure why he moved up there. It's not like he floated away and got stuck or anything he just moved on his own.

Thanks for the ice cube trick I'll give that a try tonight if he isn't free in a couple hours.

Update: he has re attached to the rock now, but he didn't escape unscathed. he has a little 1/4" wound on his edge. Anything I should be worried about? He is partially inflated now and looks to be doing ok.

I had one get in my powerhead once and did some major damage. He wasn't dead so I left him alone and he moved under some rock, split and came out a few days later as 3 nems. He ended up fine, but I tried to keep a close eye on him afterwards to make sure one of the clones didn't die in the tank.

Man you escaped disaster! I told you that little guy loved flow :D.

The nem should be ok, they are put through a lot more stress when they split. They literally rip themselves into two by playing tug of war.

Thanks for reassuring me guys. It's probably one of my favorite things in my tank and I would hate to lose it. It's looking good but a little ****ed off right now. I'll keep an eye on but it should be fine.

@Pete, yeah they do like flow and he's in a great spot that get's a nice sweeping flow through it, but nothing major. He is also on the perfect spot in my tank so he kind of has this whole side to himself and completes the symmetry I was trying to achieve.

MIne did the same thing...the powerhead ripped him in just about half...thought he was a goner...but now in a tank recovering it seems....eating with its half a head and wounds healing...

You'll probably be alright

how can you split your rbtas? i have a huuge one like 35 inches

You can cut them in half. I have heard large water changes could do it as well. I need to see a pic of this 35" RBTA you speak of.

Update on nem: He got himself loose from the PH and moved to another location between some rocks. He seems to be doing fine but he has a little damage on his side. I am positive this is all because I left the timer on and the additional powerhead going one night. My timer turns off 2 powerheads at night and leaves the return pump and a small k nano blowing across the back of my tank to create a slight swirl through the tank. I am sure it just upset him and he wasn't comfortable any more. Oh well. Now I have to find something to fill the side of the tank he was on.

What size tank do you have? Considering that RTBAs are generally round, how wide is your tank? Do you have a picture?

Mine grew to almso 20inches in a oval shape until i sold it to Sharkbait and it split up. But have never seem one much bigger then that.

Back