Ugly Brown Algae, Diatoms or Dino?

Houston we have a problem!!! I came home from work today and my new algae Benny was dead. Does this mean that this is infact Dino? Please Help!

Houston we have a problem!!! I came home from work today and my new algae Benny was dead. Does this mean that this is infact Dino? Please Help!

It looks like dino's to me. You need nutrient reduction and physical removal. Do several large water changes and pull each rock out and scrub the dino's of with a brush.

Its gonna take some time but keep changing your water and you will see an improvident.

That first pic on the top is dinos. Hard to tell on the 2nd pic, looks like dinos and diatoms. Chances are it's all dinos though.

Actual waterchanges will fuel them. I fought an epic battle with dino's in the past and the one thing I found out (from where, I can't remember) is that you need to reduce nutrients in the system for the to go away.

Well, what are you doing with waterchanges? Adding freshly mixed nutrients to the system, that's why people do water changes - to remove old water and add nutrients back into the system.

Siphon out the crud into a filter sock that's in a bucket. Re-use the siphoned water and add it right back to the tank and wash the filter sock with bleach. Do this every day.

I also don't recommend removing the rock or disturbing the sand because all you're going to do is stir them up even more.

More flow - doesn't help, it just helps them spread.
Waterchanges - don't do them - siphon and re-use the water.
Carbon - change DAILY
GFO - can't hurt I guess, I don't use it.
pH - I tried to keep my pH elevated like a lot of folks say to do, but I couldn't do it. Highest mine got was around 8.2.
kalk - I top off with it.
Peroxide - I believe it helped but I can't prove it did.
Feeding - starve your fish and feed only the slightest bit and make it dry food like pellets, no frozen.
balckout - I did 3 days, and I mean blackout - I covered everything with cardboard so light couldn't get in at all. It did help some, but not like others say it does.

Good luck - it's going to take a couple of weeks or more depending on how bad it really is to get it under control.

Back