Ultimate excuse for a new tank...is there anything I can do? PIX

whalloper

Last week, I accidentally added too much buffer and had a tank full of calcium precipitate which stuck to the glass. Not realizing the harm I could do, I started to use my Mag-Float algae cleaner to scrape it off. It didnt get it all the way off, so I had to finish with a metal scraper. All was well until I added buffer again (the correct amount)...a thin film of precipitate stuck to the glass this time as well. I scraped it off once more, and still it came back the next time I dripped buffer. So, I think I must have put microscopic scratches in the glass when I first tried to remove the layer with the Mag-Float. When I scrape it, the glass looks good as new, but then particles are attracted to it again. Is there anything I can do, or is this the ultimate excuse to get a new aquarium? This is what it looks like right now :(

100259mini-100_0593.JPG

Stop adding buffer since it keeps precipitating out. Please supply your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium readings of your water for more help. FWIW, your glass is fine. What "buffer" are you adding and why?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9828026#post9828026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Stop adding buffer since it keeps precipitating out. Please supply your calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium readings of your water for more help. FWIW, your glass is fine. What "buffer" are you adding and why?

Ca 410 (Seachem)
Alk 7 dKh
Mg 1240 (Salifert)

The buffer I was using at the time was baked baking soda, and I do admit, I may have dripped it a little too quickly

Wait a few days and test again...with solids floating around in the water (ie the stuff that is sticking to your glass) you may not be getting accurate readings.

Don't add dkh buffer at the same time you add calcium, or you definitely get a snowstorm. I don't know if it's the same with baking soda, but I toss that out as a possibility.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9830533#post9830533 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Did you use the calculator to help with your dosing? Can you scrape the precipitate off the glass with a razor blade?

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Yes, the precip comes off with a metal scraper. I dont really use the calculators because they never seem to work for me. It always seems that I have to use more of a product to raise my levels to a specific value. This tank is a 72 gal with tons of rock, 3-4" sandbed, and a 15 gal sump which is filled only half way....it couldnt have much more than 60 gallons of water, but when using the calculators, its never enough. Any thoughts?

Back