Under-Sink RO - good for reef?

wagohn

Hello all,

I have an RO question. I currently use a 4 stage (including DI resin) RO rig that has worked wonderfully for the last 7 years. It's time to replace the DI again and the whole unit is looking a little worse for wear. Therefore, I am considering a new unit and was wondering if an under-the-sink unit would work for a reef tank? Would I get the same clarity of water and if so, is that 'clean' of water safe for human consumption? (should I use resin etc)

I want a setup that is always plumbed with a reservoir tank that holds 3-5 gallons. It must be safe for both reef and humans alike and be accessible via the addition of a tap.

Any stories or any suggested rigs?

Thanks.

I have used an off the shelf RO unit for years without issue. A DI unit was added during initial step. Annual filter changes and never any issues.

I've got the same setup. Although I have to say water that's been through DI tastes bad. Perhaps because it is missing the minerals/pH that makes water taste good.

I've got the same setup. Although I have to say water that's been through DI tastes bad. Perhaps because it is missing the minerals/pH that makes water taste good.

Thanks all. Does anybody uses a system without DI? This would be both for my tank and cooking etc. I don't want to add DI unless necessary.

Any links to your units and price?

Thanks!

Unless your water is fairly clean to begin with you will probably want to add a secondary DI can. You need to test the water with TDS meter after your RO.

I thought using DI as drinking water was bad for us. Cause the DI will eventually strip your body of elements.
But you can set the system up to have a valve before the water reaches the DI. It will allow you to have RO at faucet & RO/DI with turn of a valve for tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe most of your mineral intake comes from your diet and drinking rodi water is fine.

Studies in mice I believe it was showed all sorts of little weird issues with drinking DI water. but most notably was the lack of minerals, the DI water absorbs the minerals from your body, so you are at a negative by drinking it. It's just not a good idea. Probably wont kill you though.

I've used regular RO water before, no real issues there... but I've also used plain dechlorinated tap water for years too... :D

Thanks all - looks like I will have to use DI then but for tank only. We are on a well and out of the tap I get 88ppm - not terrible but probably enough to warrant RO and DI.

Thanks!

Back