Undy for a college dorm

Sitarangi

Ok, I want a fish for my dorm room. The max tank im allowed is 29g. The idea of keeping something like a beta or gold fish seems like 50 steps back and just boring. Of course im on a budget as a college student, also in Seattle im basically limited to a couple petcos as to what I can keep. One of them has a very tiny Undy trigger (~2"). I was thinking about a 29g standard long size (24x12x18 or whatever) with 2 powerheads and either a seaclone 100 skimmer or just a penguin 70 BW filter. Its basically within walking distance so I have access to frozen foods and salt and id do 20% water changes a week. Im a communications major with more free time on my hands than I know what to do with, and I have the time to commit, also I do go to a 'christian' college so no drinking in the dorms so know retard knocking over the tank or trying to see if my fish would drink beer. Id go with only about 10ish pounds of LR (petco LR is kind of sketch already) and itd be a species only tank with plenty of flow and swimming room.

I know im going to set off all sorts of trigger police sirens, but I want realist answers. Please dont warn me that this fish is going to grow to be a foot long... I know, I plan on giving him to a happy home over the summer. I know someone on my dorm with a 300g FOWLR thatd love to have it.

I miss SW fishkeeping and love triggers for their puppy like personality. Im looking for input on people that have kept this fish in smaller tanks, I've seen it done before and I know this is going to jar a couple feathers but like for good ideas, I know buying a fish you do not intend to keep is a bad idea, but he'll be well loved and well taken care of...

I think you will be fine.You already know that it is going to grow and have plans for it to go to a bigger tank.And it is going to be the only fish in there.The only thing you might want to do is either bump up the amount of live rock that will be going in there or add some other type of ornaments to make alot of hiding places to keep him busy exploring around.Go fo it and post some pics when you get it up.

I used to know this fish dealer who would sell me juveniles of fish that get huge to keep in my smaller tanks and when they got a little too big, I'd sell them back and make a small profit for growing the fish out. You should be fine with this arrangement and maybe make a little extra scratch on the side.

Great, obviously I cant afford that much LR, so I may need to get some dry rock and maybe a lame ceramic topless mermaid too XD.... Im taking dimensions right now for where I can put the tank, ill hopefully post pics in the far future.

If you can, go for a 38g (what I keep my undy in.) The tank is 36"x12"x18" IIRC. Pretty much it is just 6" longer than a 29g. An undy sounds like a good choice as far as personality, color, hardiness, etc. I don't even have a skimmer on mine, just 40lbs of lr and ls plus an emp 400 filter and 2x powerheads. It's really that simple.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14138859#post14138859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grouperhead
If you can, go for a 38g (what I keep my undy in.) The tank is 36"x12"x18" IIRC. Pretty much it is just 6" longer than a 29g. An undy sounds like a good choice as far as personality, color, hardiness, etc. I don't even have a skimmer on mine, just 40lbs of lr and ls plus an emp 400 filter and 2x powerheads. It's really that simple.

Theres a 30g max on fish tanks in dorms

You'd be better off with the 30g for the extra 6" of length. But I think a 2" undy would be ok for the time being. Very doable. Give him some rubble to make a home in. These fish don't do a whole lot of swimming like other triggers, mostly stay in their home and maintaining it.

Rather than getting a seaclone, I'd look for a used BakPak. I think you'll be really happy to have a decent HOB skimmer for your undy.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140179#post14140179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
Rather than getting a seaclone, I'd look for a used BakPak. I think you'll be really happy to have a decent HOB skimmer for your undy.

If I can find an old one or a used one great, but I cant afford a bakpak. There isn't gonna be anything but the trigger, and I know the trigger can handle 5-10ppm nitrate level. I've always been a water change stickler and he'll get at least a 10-20% a week water change

Maybe you could get away with the few extra gallons......... At any rate good luck and good taste in music!

Im glad there are people on this forum that recognize good music when they see it hehe

When I was in College, I wanted a tank too. I lived in a Frat House and had room for a tank or a beer fridge. The fish waited; a man has to know his priorities.

Good luck to you. Petco is definately not your only option in Seattle. Try the Fish Store on Roosevelt. There are also a couple shops in the International District. And, just East accross I-90, you've got two great stores, Barrier Reef in Renton and Blue Sierra in Issaquah. Best, small

i know that triggers arent nearly the same as a mantis....but on my 29 gallon mantis tank i have a marineland 220 canister filter.... I think its fantastic and may be a better solution over a sea clone skimmer....Ive had plenty of exposure to both units and I personnally think the canister filter would deffinetly be the better choice

A canister filter...?

All i've heard about those on SW tanks is expensive, high maintenance, takes up lots of space, and a nitrate factory. Assuming i can get a job, it'll most likely be a BW filter and water changes. Triggers dont mind detectable nitrates.

@ small alien: Ill take a look at those shops, but I live in Queen Anne and have no car so im pretty limited D:

Back