Upgrade Time 120g -> 180g

worm5406

Not afriad to admit wrong
Team RC
I have a 120g tank. I am moving it downstairs and upgrading it at the same time to a ML180g with 2 corner flows at 72" x 24" x 24"

I am going to make a 40g DSB sump with Cheeto.

Uggh now comes the time for ideas and plumbing design....

HAHAHA

Merry Christmas to me :dance:

I was looking at a sump like this:
download

Ideas? Thoguhts? Concerns?

Yes this is going on concrete.

I would make the return section smaller, but that is just my prefrence. That could allow you to have a larger area for an in sump skimmer, or place for your chaeto.

40 gallon sump seems a little small for a tank that size, but i'm sure will work. You will have to limit the flow through it or your going to have a sand flurry going on. Then either run a closed loop or powerheads for in tank flow

I'm not sure how much water will drain down from the DT when your main return pump is off, but you need to be sure the final return section is large enough to handle all that water volume. If possible measure that volume before you finalize the design to avoid a flood. The sketch shows the water level lowest in the refugium (center) section, the water all needs to drain towards the return section so be sure the baffles are adjusted accordingly. With a refugium between the skimmer section and the return section, you most likely will not need bubble traps as any bubbles will be forced out of the water column as it moves through the refugium. I would not install them, you could always add them later if the need arises. The initial drain/skimmer section does not need to be as large as you have it with an external hang on the back skimmer unless you think you will be adding an internal skimmer at a later date. Any extra space should be dedicated to the refugium (assuming you keep the return pump section properly sized for drain down).

Make the return section smaller, this will give you a bigger fuge. Calculations should be made on how much water will drain from the display in case of a power outage, and adjust the height of your baffles accordingly. 75 gallon would be the ideal sump for your plans.

Sorry.. I got that picture from the web... and it links to a thread on here... That was just an idea... oops... forgot to mention that ... hahaha... BUT...

Yes.. the purpose of the baffles from the (in sump skimmer) will be a good spot for carbon if needed to add. And placement of a heater between the sections.

The DSB fuge will be longer/wider. The return will be big enough for the return pump(s) only.

I have a 55gal (not used right now) upstairs that I could use instead. (I got the $1/gal special at petco and picked it up.)

The stand is being custom built, so I have options on what to put below it.

I just ordered a new skimmer for new setup.

Any one have anything to say about the:

Reef Octopus DDNW250 Dual 10" Recirculating Protein Skimmer

Back