Upgrading tank and switching over to bare bottom in the process.

Fishguy88

So I'm switching over my 29 gallon standard to a fluval studio 600 that has been made reef ready with a sump and everything. 'I'll be moving everything to the new tank tomorrow. I'd like to have the new tank bare bottom. I really don't want to have a new cycle, will I lose a lot of beneficial bacteria if I don't tank any of the old sand? Should I put a cupful in the sump? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you are going to lose a certain percentage of bacteria, no way around that if you are removing the sand, but your rock should have plenty to tide you over - just go easy on the initial feedings for the first couple of weeks.

You could keep some of the sand in the sump as mentioned (depends on your fish load), but just make sure you have rinsed it a bit (with tank water) so as not to have further decomposition upon your initial setup of the new tank. I personally wouldn't, but it shouldn't harm anything.

So I'm switching over my 29 gallon standard to a fluval studio 600 that has been made reef ready with a sump and everything. 'I'll be moving everything to the new tank tomorrow. I'd like to have the new tank bare bottom. I really don't want to have a new cycle, will I lose a lot of beneficial bacteria if I don't tank any of the old sand? Should I put a cupful in the sump? Thanks for your help.

Ok, I'll definitely feed less for the next few weeks. Should I do some sort of bottled bacteria? I just want my corals to be alright and not have a cycle. I might be over thinking this.

Ok, I'll definitely feed less for the next few weeks. Should I do some sort of bottled bacteria? I just want my corals to be alright and not have a cycle. I might be over thinking this.

I don't see the need for any bottled bacteria - your rock should have plenty.

You should not experience much of a cycle unless you have a bunch of die-off or overfeed early on...

Been there done that

the bare bottom thing.You loose bio filtration,make your crabs mad,and Loose pods and other micro organisms .. Not to mention add a whole new level to the word algae scrubbing and cleaning areas hard to reach..

Good Luck....

Back