Upgrading Tank - Need to cycle?

chadcham

I am upgrading from a 60 gallon cube to a 100 gallon tank and I am using the same 40 gallon sump + separate refugium (which has a 4 inch sand bed) plus 70 lbs of live rock which I've migrated from my prior 75 gallon tank to the new 100g. I've had the live rock in my tanks for ~6 years. My question is should I plan for the same cycle time as a new tank even though I'm migrating everything except the sand from the display tank? I'll be putting new live sand in the new tank with some of the sand from my DSB from the refugium. I also run an AquaC pro skimmer, phosban reactor, and charcoal reactor.

Thanks for any advice.

Of course there will be a cycle. Always is. Shouldn't be new tank variety cycle, should be a bit quicker. My tank is in a constant state of cycle.

When I went from my 75gal to the 60 cube i never had any detritus or cyano and only saw a 2-3 day bump in nitrites/nitrates but I also used all the same substrate. I was primarily concerned with others experiences with how long cycles have taken when using well-established live rock, established DSB in refugium, and seeding with established sand.

Well, I guess then, with the caveat of not knowing a thing about the population of the tank, I would reckon that the length of the cycle depends on the amount of die off from the rock being exposed to air (Pro Tip: bag rock underwater to prevent exposure to air). And how long it takes the new sand to balance out.

I would reckon it be pretty quick, you would think that after a week you should be out of the danger zone.

What you wanting to know?

Back