Upset To Say The Least

chatyak

I can't take anymore problems with the vortechs, I am sorry. I am constantly having to order new parts to keep the noise down. If it isn't a grinding noise, it's a squeeling high pitched noise. It just will NOT stop.

I just ordered new parts again, and the noise is unbearable. These pumps are more effort and money they are worth.

Now the nuts are loose and cannot be tightened. Also, no matter how dead-center I place the wet-side with the dry side, it is still grinding the living daylight out of the pump or making a high pitched sound.

MvM

You will hear a whine when they ramp up, but the grinding is not common. I have a silent tank in my living room but am willing to tolerate the "whine" because of the fact that there is no other pump that takes up less space than these. I thought about switching to "the other power head", but hate the idea of the cords/amount of space they take up. I will live with a little noise to have the clean look inside the tank that they give. JMHO.

chatyak

Has been going on for a while. Just got new parts today and now a nut is stripped (can just yoink it off screw) and the wet side that is perfect is making a horrible noise. I'm sending both in for repairs.... thinking of going with tunze streams..

EcoTech Marine

.Registered Member
Was this a new pump or a used pump? How old is the pump? Things happen, but our goal is to get them taken care of quickly and efficiently. Sorry for your frustration.

chatyak

Was this a new pump or a used pump? How old is the pump? Things happen, but our goal is to get them taken care of quickly and efficiently. Sorry for your frustration.

Hello Tim,

The pump themselves are 1.5 - 2 years old. I have two units. Recently I just upgraded to the MP40W ES.

I ordered the maintenance kit and am waiting on those parts, will see if that fixes the problem.

As a sidenote, how tight should I be putting on those plastic nuts over the screw? I was holding the screwdriver and turning the nut with a pair of pliers. Is "just snug" good enough or should it be really tight? I don't want to strip the thing but I don't want the nut falling off either.

It would be a GREAT idea to have the propeller with a magnet inside it, removing the need for the plastic nut to hold things in place.

EcoTech Marine

.Registered Member
The nut should only be finger tight. We don't use any special tools on our assembly line. Overtightening it can result in it failing with time.

chatyak

Sigh... still a problem with one pump. I spent 2 hours standing by the pump, slightly adjusting it with variable speeds.

It is twice as loud as the other vortech.

What's worse is that it has a new drive shaft, new nut, new propeller, and still the loud rattling noise. It isn't just the sound of the motor speeding up. This is more of a heavy, thudding sound with a deep grinding adding in. I really don't want to spend another $75 for a new wetside. I wish there was a way to determine what it might be before I have to pay for repairs and shipping, again. I have spent over $1,000 on these 2 pumps and it is really frustrating.

EcoTech Marine

.Registered Member
if you take some photos of the wet side and some photos of the parts pulled apart, i'm sure we could figure out what's wrong.

SethTheWineGuy

Premium Member
I purchased three MP40Wes pumps and had issues with one. Thus far, the support from Ecotech has been outstanding. Quick to remedy issues. I don't mind spending the cash when I get great customer support. I'm sure Ecotech will help you through this.

TypeSH

I know how you feel.

Bought two before at the same time and one was a dud out of the box. Wet and dry side kept dettaching after random durations of usage. Had to send it in for fixes multiple times.

Customer service was awesome and very quick, but it feels like the quality control is just not at the caliber that we are paying for?

Rovuma

Sigh... still a problem with one pump. I spent 2 hours standing by the pump, slightly adjusting it with variable speeds.

It is twice as loud as the other vortech.

What's worse is that it has a new drive shaft, new nut, new propeller, and still the loud rattling noise. It isn't just the sound of the motor speeding up. This is more of a heavy, thudding sound with a deep grinding adding in. I really don't want to spend another $75 for a new wetside. I wish there was a way to determine what it might be before I have to pay for repairs and shipping, again. I have spent over $1,000 on these 2 pumps and it is really frustrating.

---
Chatyak, I have the same problem with one of my two pumps (the other one had the drive shaft screw cracked in two); although both of mine are less than 3 months old. I agree with TypeSH that for the kind of money one pays and Ecotech's reputation, these problems perhaps shouldn't happen. Also, expecting customers to pay to send faulty units -still under warranty- back to Ecotech is a questionable practice.

chatyak

I have been busy with things... sorry for the delay.

Should I take pictures of the unit? I have it sitting right here on the desk and it looks to be in mint condition.

There is only a VERY MINOR wobble if I hold the wet frame plate and then try to wiggle the propeller portion around. If I hold the wet frame plate steady and spin the propeller, it turns smooth and solid.

I should mention, my glass is 3/8" thick and I was not using the thin black rubber pad between the motor and the wet side, is that required?

On top of this, my RK 2 unit now died on me. When it rains it pours.

cunningham

You need the pad, do you have it set for 3/8" ?
I have been busy with things... sorry for the delay.

Should I take pictures of the unit? I have it sitting right here on the desk and it looks to be in mint condition.

There is only a VERY MINOR wobble if I hold the wet frame plate and then try to wiggle the propeller portion around. If I hold the wet frame plate steady and spin the propeller, it turns smooth and solid.

I should mention, my glass is 3/8" thick and I was not using the thin black rubber pad between the motor and the wet side, is that required?

On top of this, my RK 2 unit now died on me. When it rains it pours.

chatyak

I have the pin spacer setting for 3/8" yes. I misplaced the one rubber pad though and I was running it without it. Not having the pad causes the rattling?

EcoTech Marine

.Registered Member
The rubber pad is necessary for the proper operation of the pump. Give us a call at the number below and we can get this taken care of for you and go over your issues.

chatyak

I live in Canada Tim. If all I need is the rubber gasket, I can't get it from your US Part's Store... Can't find it at the online shops here.