URGENT Call to Protect Stony Coral Trade - April 5 Deadline

mrx66699

Date: April 4, 2013, 3:15:50 PM EDT
Subject: URGENT Call to Protect Stony Coral Trade - April 5 Deadline
Reply-To: "CORAL Magazine" <reply-0897c9dbf0-a6759cd8a8-b2be@u.cts.vresp.com>

Endangered Species Listings Could End Trade in Stony Corals
URGENT Call for Concerned Aquarists to Write Objections
Will U.S. Fish & Wildlife inspectors be able to ID incoming stony corals?
PIJAC, the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council, issued a call to action on April 3rd, 2013, for everyone involved in the aquarium industry and hobby to submit public commentary in response to the NOAA Proposal to list 66 CORAL Species on the Endangered Species Act (ESA) as we first reported late November, 2012.

You have less than 48 hours remaining to submit your public comment (electronic submissions are closed after 11:59 PM EDT, April 5th, 2013). Mail submissions must be postmarked April 6th. Public commentary is a fundamental core part of the ESA listing process, so don’t think what you say won’t make a difference – it certainly could. We are providing expanded commentary on the NOAA ESA Coral Petition issue in another article today; if you’re unfamiliar we encourage you to become invested in the implications this proposal has for you as an aquarist. For those already familiar with the issue and simply looking for instructions, you can view the full PIJAC press release with instructions. We’ve also excerpted a portion here.

Recommended Action:
PIJAC urges people involved with the ornamental marine trade and hobby to not only submit their personal comments, but also forward this PetAlert to others involved with marine organisms, marine products, and marine retailers. COMMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY APRIL 6, 2013. See below for instructions on how and where to submit your comments. Comments should include a brief description of your involvement with coral activities. Your comments should be in your own words – do not simply copy the talking points.

Comments should be addressed to:
Regulatory Branch Chief
Protected Resources Division
National Marine Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
1601 Kapiolani Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96814
Attn: 82 Coral Species Proposed Listing

Or

Assistant Regional Administrator,
Protected Resources,
National Marine Fisheries Service,
Southeast Regional Office,
263 13th Avenue South,
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701,

Attn: 82 coral species proposed listing Electronic Submission: Submit all electronic public comments NO LATER THAN APRIL 5 via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal www.regulations.gov. To submit comments via the e-Rulemaking Portal, first click the “submit a comment” icon, then enter NOAA-NMFS-2010-0036 in the keyword search. Locate the document you wish to comment on from the resulting list and click on the “Submit a Comment” icon on the right of that line. Attachments to electronic comments will be accepted in Microsoft Word or Excel, WordPerfect, or Adobe PDF file formats only. E-submissions must be filed by 11:59 pm EDT on April 5 when the system shuts down. If you encounter problems filing electronically FAX and mail a copy.

Mail: Submit written comments to Regulatory Branch Chief, Protected Resources Division, National Marine Fisheries Service, Pacific Islands Regional Office, 1601 Kapiolani Blvd., Suite 1110, Honolulu, HI 96814; or Assistant Regional Administrator, Protected Resources, National Marine Fisheries Service, Southeast Regional Office, 263 13th Avenue South, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701, Attn: 82 coral species proposed listing.

Must be postmarked no later than April 6 and to be safe send April 5.
Fax: 808-973-2941; Attn: Protected Resources Regulatory Branch Chief; or 727-824-5309; Attn: Protected Resources Assistant Regional Administrator.

Postal or Fax Submissions: If responding by mail, make sure the envelope is postmarked/date stamped on or before April 6. PIJAC recommends that you also FAX a copy to NMFS.
For any questions about this proposal and responding to it, contact PIJAC at info@pijac.org or Marshall Meyers at
marshall@pijac.org.

EXCERPT
"Don’t overlook the at-home implications of an ESA listing. Being listed as an endangered species under the ESA makes it illegal to own or propagate the species under the “Take Prohibition”—”Endangered species, their parts, or any products made from them may not be imported, exported, possessed, or sold” according to the Earth Justice Citizen’s Guide to the ESA. "It is unclear that there would be any legal way to provide exceptions or grandfather in past legal ownership or propagation. Could your next “20,000 Leagues Lokani” frag be your last, or worse, do you have to grind your entire Candy Cane Coral colony into a pulp or risk jail time or fines for owning it, despite having purchased it legally years prior? "Should these listings go into effect, will the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service have a “Reefer’s Amnesty Day” where we can all turn in our then contraband livestock? "Pragmatically, the aquarium-industry implications of this proposal are such that we could quite literally all return to keeping fish-only marine aquariums. That is, we’ll be fine with fish until we have to deal with any successful efforts by the Center for Biological Diversity to list Amphiprion percula as an endangered species under the ESA (at which point am I required by law to flush the 200 baby Percula Clownfish I spawned and reared in my basement or risk civil and criminal penalties for owning a newly-dubbed “endangered species.....you can read the whole article here

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/04/04/commentary-noaas-20122013-66-coral-esa-proposal/

You have till MIDNIGHT TONIGHT

Last edited:
Nothing is more important than voicing your opinion immediately for those of you that love the colored sticks and want to keep them in the hoby......

Some of you might say so what, I don't keep sps so this doesn't apply to me. Well I can promise you if this passes, eventually all other corals will be in their sites.

Please take 15 minutes to and submit your public comment to protect the hobby so many of you are fond of.

You have until midnight today to do this electronically. What are you waiting for? Do it now!

Thanks for posting this MAtt.

Guys I went to the public hearing held at Nova SE University a few months ago.

THis can harm our industry BIG TIME. Please read the article and post your comments, ON THE PROVIDE WEBSITE BY MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!!!!

At the meeting I met with Julian Sprung and Dustin Dorfman from ORA. I have not read all the rationale for the choices they made, but according to Dustin, very little actual research is behind this thing. What does appear to be behind it is a huge lobby group WITH Federal funding that apparently needs to justify their existence. The Group for Biodiversity one thing or the other. Dont know the rest of the name.

Aquarist are having better success at propagating and keeping corals from all over the world alive better than scientists are. Should we be punished for this????

If this passes we will no long be able to barter these products, ie, trade, sell, etc.... Many of the corals are very common corals, ie valida, echinata, candy cane, some of the euphylias, ie torch, hammer etc.....

Please play close attention to this. I warned you guys a few months ago this was coming. Now is the time to react.

Some of you might say so what, I don't keep sps so this doesn't apply to me. Well I can promise you if this passes, eventually all other corals will be in their sites.

Please take 15 minutes to and submit your public comment to protect the hobby so many of you are fond of.

You have until midnight today to do this electronically. What are you waiting for? Do it now!

Marvin- MANY LPS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:thumbdown:thumbdown
Frogspawn, Candy Cane.....etc.....

Last edited:
Done! Just submitted my comment opposing this proposal. Have you?

I just got into this hobby a few months back but truly feel the urgency in making sure the industry and hobby supported with our efforts, can continue to thrive. We need to ensure there is a good, sensible path to growing the industry, while continue to contribute to the welfare of the marine life we all so dearly love.

my comment that was submitted

Most corals that are bought and sold within the marine hobby are actually cultured corals done in the aquarium of many homes across the country. Within the last 20 years marine hobbiest have taught marine biologist how to "fragment" and grow/culture corals such as the "endangered" staghorn which are currently being used to for coral restoration within our oceans here in Florida by biologist Ken Neidmeier. The advances learned from within the hobby may someday be able to restore many other damaged reefs and repopulate fish species around the world. Locally the Florida Marine Aquarium Society have donated corals and livestock to the Miami museum of science and I personally, have donated thousands of dollars of equipment and livestock myself. So please reconsider putting corals as endangered and threatened species. A true marine hobbiest goal is to learn, preserve, and ultimately be able to grow and breed all marine lifeforms.

Back