Urgent: Coral Sting

AcuraCl1

I was moving some rocks in my aquarium last night, and moved some zoos and my Green BTA around. When I was done with everything, I noticed that my left index finger was numb. I did not feel any sting, and theres no swelling or redness, just numbness. I thought that my finger went to sleep, so I put my index finger under some warm water. That did not help. This morning, it is still numb. Its my only finger that is numb, everything looks fine on it. Will this go away or do I need to get check out.

Dude, I'm not a doctor. Even if I was, I wouldn't evaluate you over a forum. If in doubt, GET TO A HOSPITAL! or call your physician. Good luck, and hope your "it's just a finger", gets better.

Call poison control. They will have the best information. If you go to a hospital - chances are that they will look you over - and send you home with minimal care - even if you explain exactly what happened. If they think that the ,marine life may be an issue - well - they usually call poison control to see what to do.

Not that you should not see a doctor - but they can help make sure that you give the doc the right information up from to ensure you are treated correctly.

Some people have a strong reaction to marine stings. If hot water did not help, talking to a doctor would be the next step: if you have a family physician, you might call him.

Second, and this is very important, too: if you have reacted like this, get to the supermarket and get disposable nitrile exam gloves and just never put your hands in the water without them. Sensitivities can go ballistic without notice, that's one thing; and second, if you've started this sensitive, you could get so bad you might have to give up the hobby if you get really sensitized. I knew a guy who got so bad he couldn't even put his hands in the water---and he owned an lfs.

Thanks, the worst thing, is that I have never had any problems with just putting my bare hands in my tank for over 6 months. And yesterday was the first day I actually put gloves on and this happens.

NEVA NEVA NEVA put cho hand n the tank without gloves is my rule!! And SK8r has heard me say this MANY a time! You never know how you will react to these things, each sting is different. Personally, SPS makes my hand itch and burn. I learned this the hard way. Since then...never again!!

Wrap it up! (hands that is). I once read (this may be disgusting so cover your ears kids), that if you get a coral sting ( i think its coral) that you should pee on it. The stung area...not the coral. :)

Thanks. I called poison control, and they told me to watch it, and if it gets worse go to the drs office, they didn't have much info, since my finger is not swollen, red, or rash, nothing. Just numbness. If you were to look at my finger, you would think nothing is wrong with it. Circulation is fine. And I have no way of knowing where the sting was since the finger looks fine.

Y'know...there are some people, usually those with prior exposure, that are actually allergic to latex. It's why I recommend nitrile...which I think are something else.

If you know that Benedryl is something you can safely take, and you have it on hand, that might be a good thing.

Ok, thanks. I will try that. I am actually not allergic to anything that I know of. The gloves I used were non latex gloves. But I will try the nitrile ones.

Man this hobby can be hazardous to your health. I stick my arms in my 25 gal all time. All I get out of it is a smelly arm I posted about this earlier. I guese if you had a reaction like being allergic to bee stings or peanut butter it could be fatal . Anyone ever hear of a sting being fatal in the hobby ?

And it could be something as crazy as leaning over at the wrong angle put a crick in your upper backbone, manifesting in hand-numbness...[I have a corner tank that requires gymnastics and a ladder to tend.] But marine stings are not to take too lightly---between sensitization for the ordinary, and the chance, though rare, of running into one of the nastier venoms available in this hobby (lions, rabbits, toadfish, marine catfish, frogfish, etc...I think we're developing a theme here: fish named after animals! lol!]----but they are worth taking seriously. You don't always know what nailed you if you are messing with rock.

Back