Urgent. Wrasse has ich!!

Cooperdude916

I bought a mcoskers flasher wrasse and he has ich. I don't have a qt nor the room to get one so I need to know what I need to do. I can't do medications because I have corals and inverts. It's going to be really hard to get him out So I don't know if I will be able to get him out.

If you can bump your temp up a few degrees that will help. Without taking the fish out to qt, not much you can do.

There's plenty of info on this on the site. I doubt you're going to like the answers though. You need to QT him, all your fish, dose with copper or hypo or tank transfer and leave your DT fallow for 10 weeks.

I learned this the hard way after 'riding it out' and watching 1/2 my tank die before I gave in.

Good luck.

There's plenty of info on this on the site. I doubt you're going to like the answers though. You need to QT him, all your fish, dose with copper or hypo or tank transfer and leave your DT fallow for 10 weeks.

I learned this the hard way after 'riding it out' and watching 1/2 my tank die before I gave in.

Good luck.

Not much else to say after that post. Those are all the options

Get a 10 gallon tank from a buddy put water in from a water change from your DT...throw a heater and power head in it put the fish in it. In the mean time put a cheapy hang on filter let it run in your DT a week then put it on the 10 gallon. Treat with Cupramine.Until then do a couple water changes. That's what I would do.

stop parasites by chem marine worked for me in a reef tank...Just keep an eye on ph which tends to get low...Easier to cure if you catch it before the fish shows signs of not eating, rubbing against rocks & gasping at the top of the tank

Without LR in the QT tank you will have to do small water changes every other day to the tank to prevent ammonia. How did he get ich? What fish do you have? They get ich from stress. If you get him out soon enough I would leave the other fish alone they might be able to fend it off if they are healthy.

Without taking the fish out most likely the other fish will get it. 10 weeks with no fish is correct. Maybe your other fish are very healthy???

All the other fish seem really healthy and are going about their normal business. The wrasse has shown no signs of ich excepted for the white spots. They are around 1-1 1/2 mm and are on his head and his tail. He is eating everything I put in the tank and acting normal. Would raising the tempature affect the purple tree gorgonian, yellow polyps, red mushrooms, 2 rock flower anemones, crabs, snails, and peppermint shrimp?(the shrimp just molted today)

All the other fish seem really healthy and are going about their normal business. The wrasse has shown no signs of ich excepted for the white spots. They are around 1-1 1/2 mm and are on his head and his tail. He is eating everything I put in the tank and acting normal. Would raising the tempature affect the purple tree gorgonian, yellow polyps, red mushrooms, 2 rock flower anemones, crabs, snails, and peppermint shrimp?(the shrimp just molted today)

Sure it's ick. Sounds a bit big for ich. Can you post a pic. And ya..like I said water changes until you can get some bio going on. Use PVC....no sand...no rock. Could it be some type of fungus

No different than in the summer when our tanks tend to be a few degrees warmer....

You can set up a small QT fairly easily -- it can be a tank, a rubbermaid tub, an old salt bucket... all you need is some sort of filter, heater, and clean water. Filter the water through a sponge or some floss, rubble, etc; anything that's been in the display or the sump that has been colonised with bacteria will keep ammonia in check along with water changes and Prime or AmQuel if needed.

If the wrasse is in the display with other fish, the only way I know of to actually cure the tank of ich is to empty it of fish -- ALL the fish -- get those fish into quarantine, treat them for 6-12 weeks, and leave the display fish-free during that time so the parasites will die off from lack of suitable hosts.

If you leave any fish in the display while you're treating the wrasse, he could re-contract ich the second you return him to the tank. Fish that show no sign of the parasite can be carrying it in their gills, and it will continue to go through its life cycle in the display; the second a free-swimming parasite locates any vulnerable fish, it's game on.

Ich sucks. Dealing with it is no fun, it's not an easy process, but watching fish slowly die is infinitely worse.

good luck, there's no miracle cure that doesn't involve removing everything and treating them all....along with giving the main tank long enough for the life cycle to completely finish with no fish host to continue surviving on.

sorry.

sorry to hear. This same thing just happened to me. I have my fish in a 20g QT and im using Cupramine. Its fairly simple and will save you a heck of a lot of hassle in the long run. Catch them all once and get rid of it so you dont have to worry about it again. I couldnt imagine having to constantly treat my fish for ich. do it right once and youll never have to again. good luck!

I say reduce its stress levels and feed it well. Wrasses are hardy and it should be able to fight off the infection.

Back