Used dosers safe to use?

Bill Nye

I purchased some used BRS dosers off the for sale forums here on reef central about 6 months ago but haven't used them. When I got them I ran some RODI through them to make sure they worked and to see how much they were pumping per minute then put them in storage.

I am about to go on vacation so I thought now would be a good time to break them out and hook them up to my reef keeper but ran some RODI through them again to make sure the piping was clean. I tested the TDS of the collected water for both pumps and one came out to ~50 and the other was about ~17. I have the same pipes they came with hooked up to the dosers so Im guessing there could be residue two part in them that could be causing the TDS to rise.

I am going to change the hose and then check it again to see if I can get the TDS to drop but long story short do you think these are safe to use for 2 part?

I am about to go on vacation so I thought now would be a good time to break them out and hook them up to my reef keeper, do you think these are safe to use for 2 part?

Absolutely not. I cannot in good faith recommend you change anything prior to a vacation.

The pumps themselves on an apex work great for it but I would change out the tubing since you don't know the age or what was pumped in them and of course do this after you get back.

Hi tkeracer,

Unfortunately I hand dose at night before I go to bed and my Mom is going to be coming to my apartment to take care of the tank while I'm gone. I dont really trust her to hand dose my tank and she would most likely have to do it in the morning vs ~11:00 pm. I am kinda of up the creek without the paddle on this one.

Morning or night really doesn't matter. Get a case of bottled water, fill them with di and the correct amount of buffer/ca. Clearly label each one. Monday the 12th A & B bottles, tuesday the 13th a & b bottles, ect ect.

I would trust the person who created you over a minimally tested automated dosing system any day of the week.

When I go on vacation if the person isn't familiar everything is put into labeled pee jars with the date that particular jars contents need to be fed/dosed.

Remember, keep the instructions to a bare minimum so to minimize confusion. It is a terrible thing to come home to a tank that spiked and has suffered the consequences.

Worst case just don't dose while you're gone. corals may slow growht and not be happy but you won't risk over dosing or killing any thing either. A few weeks of only ATO have never hurt my tanks when the neighbor was looking after the fish prior to automating everything.

Back