Used in80 w/ new impeller working or not?

voidg

Just picked up this skimmer on the cheap as it needed a new impeller. Got it setup in my sump and to my dismay it doesn't seem to be driving the bubbles any higher than about 1" below the start of the tapering neck (3/4 of the way up the vertex sticker). I know new skimmers require break in, but I would expect it drive the water/bubbles a little higher, no? That said, the only new thing on it is the impeller. Is there something wrong with the pump?

It's sitting in about 7" of water, running fully open.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Done that. My concern is that I have to run it nearly all the way closed to get the bubbles to come up the neck! Is that normal for this skimmer?

It isn't abnormal but there is no way to know how well the pump is performing from here. I am assuming you have soaked the pump in vinegar to assure it is clean inside. Buildup in the cavity can slow the pump down.

Yes, pump was running in water/vinegar for some time to ensure it was clean. Given that the skimmer was out of use for nearly a month (or more) would this factor into what I am seeing, some sort of post-break-in break-in?

It can but it should start skimming away within a couple of days. If the skimmer chamber is full of bubbles then I wouldn't worry about where the wedge pipe is, you are mixing air and water so not much water will exit the skimmer outlet. Pumps that get weak usually do so because of the impeller, not the pump body.

Thanks. Figured it would come down to a waiting game.

As an aside, when the manual says water level for the skimmer should this water level be checked/set while the skimmer is running or not? I am finding there is a fair bit of difference.

The 6-8" is the height of water in the sump so if the skimmer is in 7" of water then that is a proper height. You adjust the height of the bubble column from there once the skimmer is running. The reason has to do with air draw, if the water level in the sump is say 10" then it will not be able to draw enough air through the venturi.

I know the 6-8" guidelines are for the sump level :) What I was saying is that if I measure 7" inches in the sump while the skimmer is running, that turns into 8" or there about when the skimmer is powered off. Thus, I was curious if I should be measuring my sump level when the skimmer is running or not.

Thanks for the replies. After a couple of days I am starting to get a little foam head. Given that a lot of my plumbing is new, along with the impeller I am guessing that even though I rinsed everything in RODI water there must have been some residue from manufacturing that was breaking the surface tension and causing the skimmer not to skim.

Back