Used Re-Build 75 Gallon Bow Front Build - Looking for Help/Suggestions

Kardjunkie

A little background...
I am fairly new to the hobby and bought a used two year old BioCube 29 that was extremely neglected, completely covered with green hair algae along with aiptasia and majano anemones. It only had four livestock, a hermit crab, a snail, a xenia, and a acan frag. I have spent the last few months cleaning up and now have it going really well and absolutely love the tank. It is now, in my opinion, a beautiful little tank with all kinds life growing everyday.

In the time spent getting the other tank up to snuff, I bought a complete used 75 gallon bow front that was tore down but complete with led lights, hood, reef ready tank, stand, sump, protein skimmer, dead rock (roughly 100 lbs. plus a lot of smaller debris pieces and huge dead coral colonies) and pumps. It appears to only be missing heater/chiller (chiller might not be need) and powerheads.

The biggest thing I am facing right now is the stand and plan on building one using 2X4s similar to the way most on the internet describe. The reason is the rounded stand for a bow front is extremely limited and the old owner actually had the sump in the stand and skimmer outside. I do not like this look and want a larger stand to hold all the equipment. I talked to a couple custom stand builders and they had no interest in undertaking the project. I plan on building a 52" x 24" with plenty of support.

So my first question is, can I build a square stand and put a bow front on it? I plan on building with 2X4 every 12" with both ends directly over the ends and 3/4" plywood on top. Will this work? I know I don't have a lot of details but i will have pictures in the next couple of days as I build it.

My second question is on the skimmer and sump.

The previous owner had the skimmer outside the stand and was lower than the sump. now with both on the same footing, the skimmer is higher than the pump. Will this work? I do have the pump for the skimmer just not shown.

The skimmer is a Aquamedic Turbofloater 75 and a berlin style ADHI sump.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=344801&stc=1&d=1457858432
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=344802&stc=1&d=1457858432
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=344803&stc=1&d=1457858432

My next set of question is how to even hook the two up. If they do not need to be level or one higher than the other, should I just pipe them together or use unions and valves to be able to isolate the skimmer for removal and cleaning? Or does this combination not even work and should scape both these pieces of equipment?

If anyway has read this far could you answer these questions or give me suggestions.

I am going tomorrow start the construction of the frame of the stand and see how the fit and how tall the thing needs to be with setup. But if someone sees a big fail heading my way let me know or any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• Skimmer & Sump.jpg
    Skimmer & Sump.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Skimmer 2.jpg
    Skimmer 2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Back