Ushio vs radium

jlaudiofreak

If I don't go led I was thinking about trying the Ushio 250w 20k . I have lumenbright reflectors . I can use either electronic or Hqi ballast . I ha e tried to pull up Sanjay site but it won't . Which one has the best par and coral color

It's been a while, but I remember the Ushio 20K bulbs being more blue than the Radiums. Radium + a good Actinic bulb (or possibly blue LED...I haven't seen that yet) are my favorite lighting set up.
If my memory holds up and the Ushios are more blue, they will give you more fo those tones, but less of the other coral coloration. Washed out blue is not accurate, but it won't be as vibrant, over all, as the Radium. The downside to the Radium is the need for a special ballast (m80) and I think they need some sort of blue supplement to look their best.

It depends on the ballast you use. If you use the HQI, then use the Radium bulb. The PAR is high and it is a nice color. Don't use the Ushio on the HQI ballast because it is an ANSI M58 bulb and the HQI ballast will overdrive it, whiten it and shorten the life.

If you use the electronic ballast. Ushio is nice looking. On an electronic ballast, there is almost no difference between Radium 20K and Hamilton 20K. Almost identical in color spectrum and light output.

I was going to pull a chart for you, but Ushio 20K in 250W is not an option.

I also think that 250W Ushio is quite a bit more blue than a Radium 20K. If you run either on electronic, it will be less output by about 25% than on the HQI ballast.

Radium on m80 is classic. I always thought ushio 10k with actinic looked good too. Par monster to boot.

Back