Using a Prior Freshwater Tank for a Reef: Copper Concerns

snakeybird

It is my understanding that if freshwater ich treatment has been used in an aquarium, it is not suitable to use the tank for a reef, as copper will still be in the silicone sealant and be toxic for invertebrates. In the experience of forum members, is this true? TIA.

You can fill it with water and test for copper. I don't buy that if copper was once used in a tank, the tank is now forever compromised. Test and see. You can run some carbon too, and then retest.

Silicone should not bind much if any copper in it.. Not anything to worry about IMO..
Give all surfaces inside the tank a quick full strength vinegar cleaning and water rinse and enjoy..

Silicone should not bind much if any copper in it.. Not anything to worry about IMO..
Give all surfaces inside the tank a quick full strength vinegar cleaning and water rinse and enjoy..

Thats interesting, as I read that silicone will suck up copper and will leach it back into the tank over time. I was always under the impression that using tank where copper was used before for reef is a big no. FO was fine however.

^^^This^^^

I had a 60 cube for 22 years. In the early days I treated with copper on sever occasions. For the last 15+ years I had it it was my mixed reef.

The amount of copper absorbed by silicone (if any at all) will be so small as to make no difference at all. If you have any question, use a little bit of polyfilter to test.

Thanks for the input everyone!

If I do actually fill the tank and test for copper, I will report back on results. I don't actually remember if I ever used a copper treatment in this tank; I got it new in 1999.

I am too lazy nor do I care enough to do this but all someone has to do is get some new silicone and put it in a glass with ich treatment, then rinse it, and test it for copper.

If copper was that good at binding and releasing for years later, than you would only ever have to dose a tank once for ich, and never have to dose again. We know that isn't true, it gets used up, and I would just clean everything, and not use items that can soak up copper like filter media, and gravel.

Back