Using RO/DI unit after hurricane??

I want to fill up a brute trash can with water for my aquarium. Hurricane dolly passed through and we are ordered not to drink the water; bathing, washing dishes, etc., is ok.

Could I use it for the aquarium though? Will it filter out anything and will it mess up my membrane and filters?

thanks

I would wait myself unless I NEEDED to. Usually the warning is due to a break in the line, air gets in and allows things to grow that can make us sick(why we are told to boil it). RO/DI does not remove virus / bacteria, so there would be a chance of something getting in. If it would have any effect, i don't know. UV sterilizer would help in this situation. Never heard of a fish getting the runs, but I'm no expert. :lol:

hm so they do or dont?

to start off with, my tap water was already in the 700ppm range, not sure what it is now after the hurricane

viruses go down to like .01 microns and a RO membrane's holes are .0001 or something.

That's one of the reasons that RO is used to treat water in developing countries and the like. :)

I need to stop relying on this memory of mine... Wife no likely is right, bacteria and viruses are removed by RO...
UV is still recommended, but RO should work, you're not drinking the fish tank water after all and city water is uncomparable to some 3rd world water sources.

"However, it is important to note that reverse osmosis does not provide foolproof protection against all microorganisms. You should have your water tested for bacteria, virus, and cyst contamination before relying solely on reverse osmosis. If microbiological contamination is present or suspected, you should combine reverse osmosis with an ultraviolet system for maximum effectiveness and protection against bacteria and viruses"

Don't use your RO system on microbially unsafe waters. As mentioned above they are not 100% effective at removing the microbes, and you don't want a dose of those microbes ending up in your system, especially in portions downstream of the carbon block (which are exposed to non-chlorinated water). Wait until your town issues an "all-clear" notice.

Russ

Last edited:
its fine for your fish tank ......what ever you drink ,just boile it first....i live in fla ...and use the ro/di because of hurricanes as well as mt tanks

great. i tell my family that the ban for drinking water is still going on and not to make any water.

i came home just to tell them again and they said they already made water and claim they didnt hear me say anything about the ban :rolleyes:

any reason to be concerned about using the filters for drinking water and DI water in the future once the ban has been lifted?

Back