Using Used Substrate

Rchan89

I bought a used 75 gall RR Tank from my LFS. The tank came with substrate already in the bottom. My question is " Is it safe to use"? I am concerned that the previous owner may have had something in the tank that i might not want in mine. For example, disease, pest algae, chemicals, etc. I have had the substrate drying for some time now so it is not wet. Am i overthinking it and should feel safe to repurpose some of the old material with a decent tank cycle or should i scrap it and dont tank any chances and just buy new?

If you like it that much, it can be cleaned. Is it really worth the effort? Personally, I'd get new.

Most substrate is relatively cheap all things considered with what ends up invested in the final DT, i would not chance an infestation of anything on a new setup, not worth the risk unless you are willing to do a bleach water disinfect to the used substrate then rinse in clean water till bleach smell is gone after a days soak, considering money & time investment in the long run could do that if you still want to use it.
Id empty out the tank and wash it out well using vinegar and water to disinfect then fill it & water test a few days to be certain its leak free, then id add new substrate.
Piece of mind in this hobby goes a long long way :)

Back