UV glass on Reef Optix3 shattered

ZippyBoy

I'm not sure what happened but sometime overnight, the glass lens on one of my Reef Optix3 pendents shattered (spent 45 mins this morning picking shards out of the tank).

I unplugged the light but I clearly need a replacement. Sunlight Supply doesn't sell retail, they referred me to their dealer list on their website. I'm still waiting for a call back but ........

Can I just get a plain piece of glass from a local glass shop and use that or is there something "special" about the SLS pendent glass?

I had the same thing happen to me. Man that sucks! I got as many shards out as I could in about 2 hours but still never got them all because it explodes into about a gazillion 1/4" chunks.

I got my replacement from premiumaquatics.com

the glass needs to be UV resistant. thats its purpose. regular glass would kill everything.

now... Im not saying you cant buy UV resistant glass somewhere else... youd have to call glass companies in the yellow pages.

hey dont use that regular piece of glass. It will shatter right away. the original one is tempered I think.

Thanks for the replies. I tried a couple of the rec'd dealers from the SLS website...not one called back. (That includes Marine Depot). Prem Aq told me to call a local glass shop and get tempered UV glass.....$10 later and I have a replacement.

It lasted 3 hours with the light on, so it must be tempered...hoping the guy didn't fib about the UV protection.

Back