UV Light On Return Line

DRRosen3

Alright so I've had this 9W UV for awhile now. I haven't installed it because it requires (per the instructions) a pump rated 100-200 GPH. I'm running a Mag 7 (returning water from my sump/refugium to my DT) currently. I'm wondering if I split the return line (using a "Y" splitter) and also use a control valve (to dial down the flow on the line that would feed the UV light) would this work? ...or would the water still be being pushed through the light too fast because of the high powered pump?

klwheat

I think it would be rather difficult to judge the flow through the uv that way, but it should work fine as long as you dial it down.

ca1ore

Grizzled & Cynical
Just T the output from your pump, put a ball valve on one of the outputs and adjust flow through the UV until you get to what you need. Simple!

AFK1911

I have a 9 watt UV as well and I hooked it to a RIO 400 pump. It comes with a little valve that you can dial in your flow.

SnowRaven

UV Light On Return Line

Alright so I've had this 9W UV for awhile now. I haven't installed it because it requires (per the instructions) a pump rated 100-200 GPH. I'm running a Mag 7 (returning water from my sump/refugium to my DT) currently. I'm wondering if I split the return line (using a "Y" splitter) and also use a control valve (to dial down the flow on the line that would feed the UV light) would this work? ...or would the water still be being pushed through the light too fast because of the high powered pump?

I have 2 gate valves on my return line Mag7 from the sump to the Display Tank (DT)
1.5 and a 3/4

3/4 goes to the 9 W and then to a manifold I then split it to GFO and a variable flow bio pellet reactor
It then dumps back into my sump inlet pipe via a T

I have 5 feet of head on the Mag 7 and this setup is working great
Sump is 2 filter bags in the first chamber
RO 160extreme second chamber - bio pellet reactor feeds back here
Bubble trap with GACarbon - chemipure
Return pump chamber with probes read by APEX
To 1 1/4 return line

Gate valves are 25-40$ each BRS and MarineDepot both have the spears gate.

Also have a gate on my DIY Reef Dynamics style Bio pellet reactor

DRRosen3

I have 2 gate valves on my return line Mag7 from the sump to the Display Tank (DT)
1.5 and a 3/4

3/4 goes to the 9 W and then to a manifold I then split it to GFO and a variable flow bio pellet reactor
It then dumps back into my sump inlet pipe via a T

I have 5 feet of head on the Mag 7 and this setup is working great
Sump is 2 filter bags in the first chamber
RO 160extreme second chamber - bio pellet reactor feeds back here
Bubble trap with GACarbon - chemipure
Return pump chamber with probes read by APEX
To 1 1/4 return line

Gate valves are 25-40$ each BRS and MarineDepot both have the spears gate.

Also have a gate on my DIY Reef Dynamics style Bio pellet reactor

I'd love to see this! Can you post a picture(s) of this set up?