Uv sterilizer

gareth.hubbarde

Hi all, I'm considering a uv sterilizer for my tank I have a number of questions.

Are they worth it?
Can I have one on my tank without a sump?
The tmc vectron 300 looks good but how do these things work, do they have a pump in them?

For me I would probably have it installed on the wall above or beside my tank. The sterilizer has a water inlet on the bottom and a outlet on the top. Therefore how do I get water moving around it? Am I bit confused and appreciate your help.

300l (80g) tank
36 kg crushed coral and aragonite substrate
40kg live rock
Deltec mce600 skimmer
1000lph filter pump
Filter floss
1 2800 lph pump,( hydor koralia 3200)
1x hydor koralia 1600 pump

1 algae blenny
1 kole tang
1 Royal gramma
1 adorned wrasse
1 One spot foxface
1 coral beauty
1 blue spotted goby

1 strawberry conch
6 nassarius snails
6 small red legged hermits
1 Mexican turbo snail
1 tuxedo urchin
1 tube anemone
1 boxer shrimp
4 trochus snails
df977167bf27741501d7f0443b10b663.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

A UV is a flow through unit & can be run on a pumped line or a drain line.
One caveat though, they are built with a flow rate in mind so that has to be taken into consideration. A sump is not required. Water enters one end & out the other.
Bulbs need to be changed on the hours run schedule.

I have the tmc 110w model on my tank and it helps with clarity in the tank, but if disease control is what you're looking for then a UV isn't the answer. As far as I know none of the UV's come with a pump and that would need to be purchased separately. They recommend mounting the horizontally so air bubbles don't accumulate at the top of the units. With no sump you would need a submersible pump to pump water to the UV and back into the tank. The higher above the water line you mount the UV, the more head pressure a pump will have pushing the water vertically. With UV sterilizers its all about the "dwell" time for the water in the UV for effectiveness.

A bit tricky without a sump or side chamber, but can be done. You're looking at putting a pump into your display, plus the tubing going up and out. If I was doing it, I'd hide the pump behind the rocks and run the tubing up the back corner.

It does not replace quarantine, and it doesn't eradicate disease, though it will kill whatever nasties go through it. It is pretty effective as part of multi-pronged attack on dinoflagellates.

S0 in my tank I have a pump (technically a return pump) that sucks water through mechanical filtration like floss. Could I put a hose on the outlet and use that to push the water through the uv sterilizer and back into the tsnk? It's a 1000 l/pH pump which is too much for the 300 version (max flow rate is 900 for this model). But the 400 version has max flow rate of 1300.
Would this work?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Back