Valonia taking over - Help

Rob_Reef_Keeper

I have a 60G cube reef that has been running for almost 2 years. I have been through the hair algae war and I have a bunch of small corals left. Planning on adding some more soon.

However I have Valonia (Green bubble algae) all over the place. On the Back wall and over most of the LR. I am planing on doing some large water changes to remove what I can by hand but allot of it is in tight spots that I will end up trashing the rock work to get to.

Emerald crabs are a hit or miss and I cant keep them living long enough for some reason. I have a pseudochromis, false percula clown and an algae blenny.

Besides adding more emerald crabs is there any fish that may eat valonia that will be OK in a 60G Cube?

i thnk instead of focusing on cleaning up the symptoms (nuisance algae) you should target the source. its clearly a nutrient issue in the water.

Use ro/di water if you arent, and do more frequent water changes. reduce feeding. its just the basics. think ochrams razor.

Valonia can actually thrive in very low nutrient water... May not just be a husbandry issue. rabbit fish are great bubble algae eaters.

I've heard Naso tangs are also great bubble algae eaters, but unless you can borrow one to later return, your tank is too small.

Back