Vermetid Snail Predators

cft916

Hello All,

I am getting quite a good amount of these snails in my tank.

I've read around the forums and the interwebs and found numerous answers to my question but none were proven.

Can anyone offer me a solution they have tried and worked? or any LFS that offers proven predators. Thanks in advance everyone!

The only way I know of to get rid of them manually is superglue. I can't imagine there is any "proven method". You can crush the shell, but that could get pretty tedious depending on the size of your tank and how many there are. Mine got to ridiculous proportions in my 110 to the point that my whole tank looked like a spider web if I fed or moved anything around. Hate those little suckers. I have a few in my little 25 gallon. I'm curious to see if anyone comes up with anything different as well.

The only way I know of to get rid of them manually is superglue. I can't imagine there is any "proven method". You can crush the shell, but that could get pretty tedious depending on the size of your tank and how many there are. Mine got to ridiculous proportions in my 110 to the point that my whole tank looked like a spider web if I fed or moved anything around. Hate those little suckers. I have a few in my little 25 gallon. I'm curious to see if anyone comes up with anything different as well.

thanks!

Thats what they are!!!!....those suckers are all over my live rock as well...hopefully thers an easy way to rid of these that someone posts up

Halichores wrasses Ive heard. I had luck with melanurus. I downsized and got rid of the wrasse. They came back with a vengance in a year on the rock that I kept. It's a shame. I have a 33 now. It used to be in a 75 and it seemed like he hardly had enough room. He was a great consumer of planaria and vermitiid snails. I wish I could find another wrasse that could fit in my tank that would take care of the problem again. It was a great fish. Very good looking and not aggressive towards any of it's tank mates.

I wouldn't try the copperband. Its a difficult fish and I think it's more interested in fleshy things. Just my opinion. I've considered looking for a younger smaller melanurus wrasse to put in my tank temporarily and then relocating it, but it's probably not a great idea. I'm also running bare bottom and I'm sure that particular fish wouldn't be comfortable with that.

I should add that the fish will sometimes kill hermits and snails. It was fine with my shrimp.

I did speak to John at Your Reef today and asked him what he recommended. He said that a Melanurus wrasse will take care of them. Also mentioned Candy hogfish as well. I may try a candy hogfish in my tank. I don't have too many but enough to be annoying.

I had them back in the day, and a 4 line wrasse wiped them out within a few weeks.

John mentioned Six line as well......but I wouldn't recommend a six line to anyone after my experience with one. Are 4lines less aggressive?

John mentioned Six line as well......but I wouldn't recommend a six line to anyone after my experience with one. Are 4lines less aggressive?

Nope, the "lined" wrasses can all be little bastards, but they are beautiful and great hunters. Added last, they're great additions.

My 6 line won't touch them. They run their course and I nip a few here and there. Now they are mostly in the darker corners of the rock work...

Back