very basic question about skimming

FUA

I just hooked up my first skimmer a sea-clone 100. my question is will the little bubbles only go into the collection cup if it is actually skimming out organics. or will the bubbles just go in the collection cup even if it is not skimming anything. I am asking because no bubbles are making it to the cup.

Andrew

First, you need to let the skimmer break in before you will nodice any skimmate. The skimmer will only skim if there is something in the tank to skim. The bubbles will still go up in the neck of the skimmer, but not skimmate will be produced.

FUA

right so the bubbles will go up the neck of the skimmer but they won't overflow into the collection cup unless there is something to skim. what is the typical break in period for a skimmer. thanks

ReefGirlSara

additional skimmer question

additional skimmer question

Should I leave my skimmer going all the time? I think my giant skimmer is a bit excessive for my 54 Gallon tank.

Should I turn it off when I put in cyclopeeze and DT's? If so, for how long?

FUA

yeah i was wondering the same thing. I think I am going to turn off my skimmer whenever feeding for maybe half an hour then turn it back on.

Andrew

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466029#post10466029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FUA
right so the bubbles will go up the neck of the skimmer but they won't overflow into the collection cup unless there is something to skim. what is the typical break in period for a skimmer. thanks

Could take a few hours or a few days for the skimmer to break in

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10466090#post10466090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefGirlSara
Should I leave my skimmer going all the time? I think my giant skimmer is a bit excessive for my 54 Gallon tank.

Should I turn it off when I put in cyclopeeze and DT's? If so, for how long?

What type of skimmer do you have? You should always leave your skimmer on unless you are cleaning it. If you do add say DTs to the tank, just dial back the skimmer.

FUA

I think my skimmer just broke in. patience is the key, or so I've been told. I was just so excited because I have been running my system without a skimmer for almost 2 years. and I jsut wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

ReefGirlSara

I leave my skimmer off a lot

I leave my skimmer off a lot

I'm not sure without looking at mine what type it is. It takes up a lot of space in my sump. I know it has a sticker on the front that says life time guaranteed. We bought it about 7 months ago or so from my LFS. They told me it was a really good one. It was about $150 (I think).

I leave it turned off about 80% of the time. But I'm far from an expert with this stuff, so if you guys say I should leave it on, I will start doing that. It doesn't pull out very much stuff, and from what my LFS said I was worried it would take away food from some of the creatures in the tank. Plus, the pump running all the time raises the tank temp a little.

Let me know what you guys think would be best- on all the time?