VERY SAD! NO Chiller fish or corals died

aquaskilz

I have a 45 Gal High tank with an LED Lighting system. Long story short all my corals, ornamental shrimp and coral beauty died. I am sooo upset:mad2:.
The temp in my tank went to 90 degrees because my house temp went up.
I need advice on a a affordable quality chiller and water pump to go with it. Can you please help??

I'm very sad to hear about your loss. I run an Eheim 1260 pump on my 50 gallon tank, they are a little on the expensive side but they are efficient and quiet pumps and do not produce nearly as much heat as say a Mag pump. Are you using and fans on your tank or sump? With LED lighting you should be able to keep your water temperatures in line without a chiller by just using fans unless you let your house temperatures get up into the high 80's.

Sorry to hear about your loss, but if I may make a suggestion... if at all possible stay away from a chiller. It's just one more piece of equipment to fail. I have one on my nano because the halide keeps it too warm. The fuse blew last summer and it shot up to 95° killing about $500 worth of coral. My next build well be led without a chiller...

When it comes to chillers, I am unsure that affordable and quality can be put in the same sentence.. However, I was shopping around for a new chiller just a few weeks ago and came upon these eco plus chillers. The few reviews I read did not point to any major problems. A 1/10HP unit runs at about $340 online.
Hope this helps and I'm sorry to hear about your livestock!

Last edited:
So, even with LED's the temp went that high? I take it you do not have AC in the house/apt.? What type of pump are you using?

How did your house temp go up to 90 degrees? Power outage? If so, a chiller wouldn help unless you have it hooked up to a battery or generator.

Thank u all for ur responses I love all u guys!! The temp went up in my house. We had a minor heat wave in NYC last week (above 90 degrees). I use a Mag 5 water pump in my 15 gal sump. I do have an A/C but i cant run it all day electric is high in NYC ( like everything else). I will look at the eco plus chiller.
What website do u suggest?

What i would suggest is getting rid of the mag5! i had one for years. When i got rid of it, my tank temp dropped 5 degrees or so. This was in a 29 and 20 gallon sump.

I have 3 eco plus chillers. 2 smaller and 1 commercial grade. I love them all.

Thanks for ur advice guys! Im going to invest in an A/C and cooling fans. @ crsswift70....What kind of pump do you recommend??

A chiller will cost you money in extra electricity. I just tell people to run your ac. That way your fish wil be happy and so will the humans! Like already mentioned, get rid od the mag. They are notorious for raising temps. The problem with fans is that they speed up evaporation. And there's no way to control your tank temp by using them.

Any reason you have 3 threads with the same post? Pretty sure you got your answer in all three...

+1 on the fan with a controller. I have an $8 target fan hooked up to my Apex controller. When the temp hits like 78.5 it automatically turns on. Just don't forget to turn it off, when I was testing I left it on (instead of automatic) and the temp went down to 75 with the heater fighting it..

It was 82 degrees today in my office today, and the fan kept the tank at 78 the entire time.

a day or 2 in the 90s wouldn't cause the temp in your tank to rise to that temp... I don't turn on the ac until it hits 90 and my tank is NEVER over 78 degrees... im guessing you had a heater malfunction

and I don't run fans over my tank either

Back