Very sad video

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I've seen the same thing on Balboa pier or was it Hunington Pier? with hundreds of squids being caught by us and being left to die suffocating on the pier...Just end it! It was painful to watch and I wonder what people would do with all those squids, half of them probably ended up in the dump....:rolleyes:

The difference is that Dolphins are one of the few highly intelligent animals that can actually recognize itself in a mirror.

So dolphins are intelligent, they're still just animals. I have no problem with people harvesting them for meat, like we do cows or chickens, but that has to be the most inhumane way of killing an animal I have ever seen. Sick!

I stopped watching when it panned to the boat! I dont need to start my day with somthing that F'd up. Ive been surfing for 12+ years and have gotten soo much from my experiences there. I've played with seals, baby dolphins and have even been a few yards away from a whale. The amount of life there is amazing. Now I have to go play with my tank.....

My biggest issue isn't that animals are being consumed by people, it's the fact that Dolphins are endangered and their populations are dwindling because of people. Also, most of the dolphins in the video are killed because the fishermen believe the dolphins are responsible for the dwindling fish populations, not to feed the masses. This video is no different than shark finning videos, where live sharks are captured and have their fins hacked off and are thrown back into the ocean to drown.

I'm NOT watching this. Can we have a happy video please???
I like Flipper, it was one of my favor shows when I was going up.

Can we be done with this???
I know I know we should learn from this, but we have-not.

that just makes me want to de-fin those fishermen. i can understand where few of you are coming from when you talk about how you think its ok because that is what we do with most other animals. but i disagree with killing/eating dolphins. IMOA. Killing dolphins/sharks/crab/lobster..etc in bulk like that definately sucks. Obviously as humans we need to eat but some day there wont be anymore, how can the ocean reproduce the amount that we take out? I hope I dont see the day when overpopulation of the world will start to cause starvation everywhere....

Man... I couldnt even watch the whole video. I was just driving down coast hwy to work this morning and saw a school of dolphins... stopped and watched em for a while. Then came in to work and saw this.... that is an abomination.

People, the profanity filter is there for a reason. Please don't use creative spelling or symbols to try and post profanity. Say it a different way! Children read our forum.

Kevin

sign the petition on the site, it takes a minute. It's to the right when you open the website

My concern is that a dolphin who witnessed the whole thing can possibly
"spread the word" to other dolphins and develop hatred for humans. We have no idea how intelligent these animals can be

well, it has been going on for close to a century in japan. frankly speaking, i don't think the japs leave any survivors to tell the tale

This is from a film called earthlings. It is a film about how animals have served humans, and how humans treat animals.
It is a good film.
Check out a trailer at <a href=http://www.isawearthlings.com/7minutesmedium.html>isawearthlings</a>

Don't worry, it is not as graphic as the clip that this thread is dealing with.
But it does illustrate a bigger picture about how we all live on this planet.

Aloha

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9246642#post9246642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bromion
Terrible... but unfortunately no worse than the way we treat cows and chickens in this country, or other creatures worldwide. Sad.

Yes. Other land mammals cows, chickens, goat, pigs are butchered in ways that are so inhumane and in the masses. I mean cmon my people in Mexico give them one bullet to the head, quick and no pain. I saw an undercover vid of these crazy practices and It makes me want to hurt whoever it is that its in charge of allowing this here in the states, and worldwide!

i found a link that explains more. i found out that the Japanese hunt for whales on INTERNATIONAL waters as well.

http://seashepherd.org/taiji/

here are some interesting excerps

"Japan is a member of the International Whaling Commission (IWC). In 1986, the IWC's moratorium on the killing of whales went into effect. Under the terms of the IWC, Japan is permitted to kill a limited number of whales under the "scientific research" exception. This "scientific research" exception is, in reality, simply a loophole which Japan exploits in order to kill whales for commercial consumption, but Japan is not permitted to kill any other whales protected by the IWC.

Observers have seen the fishermen at Taiji slaughtering entire pods of small pilot whales. That is a wholesale violation of the provisions of the International Whaling Commission and is plainly illegal. It is simply ignored by the Japanese government.
"

"Dolphin meat is sold in stores through out Japan. Some of it is labeled correctly as dolphin meat, and some is mislabeled as whale meat. What is never included on the label are the levels of mercury, methyl mercury, cadmium, DDT and PCBs. One or more of these contaminants pollute almost all of the dolphin meat for sale in Japan. That it is sold for public consumption at all is a disgrace; that it is sold without the Japanese government warning its citizens that eating dolphin meat is hazardous to their health is irresponsible and negligent. "

This meat is also widely distributed and consumed in Japanese markets found in the UNITED STATES. here is where we can at least play a small part, don't buy this meat at any cost, and explain to our Japanese friends that the meat is illegally collected and poisoned with heavy metals.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9248805#post9248805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtm
My concern is that a dolphin who witnessed the whole thing can possibly
"spread the word" to other dolphins and develop hatred for humans. We have no idea how intelligent these animals can be

Yeah, those dolphins are <b>organizing</b>. The uprising is coming!

SHOCKED.gif
i am going to be sick
pukeface.gif
here i am stressing over a sick fish and these people are hacking dolphins on cement floors...
angryfire.gif

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9248820#post9248820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
well, it has been going on for close to a century in japan. frankly speaking, i don't think the japs leave any survivors to tell the tale

It's comments like this that are going to get this thread closed.

We already locked one of these threads in Reef Discussion because people couldn't keep the discussion rational and on-topic.

This is the one and only warning to keep this within the bounds of our [ua].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back