ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater

TJWho5986

Almost done with the tank for my 65 gallon 36x18 peacock mantis shrim do I need a 300 or 200 watt heater my friend recommended the ViaAqua

The rule of thumb is 3 to 5 watts per gallon, if the room is really cool, around 65 degrees, you might need the higher end of that estimation, but if your room is fairly warm, say like 75 degrees, you can probably aim for the lower 3 watts per gallon. Ideally split between two different heaters so if one fails, you're less likely to freeze or cook your tank. You're probably going to need somewhere around 200 to 300 watts.

I use two heaters. It takes the load off of one having to do all the work and like Tiki said, it can be a fail safe.

I have a 300 watt heater doing pretty well on my 125. Actually I burnt myself bumping it once.. WHILE UNDERWATER!

I'm imagining it's going into a sump as glass heaters is a no no with stomatopods.

Just have to chime in and agree that two heaters is a REALLY GOOD idea. I worked in the aquatics section of a big retail pet store for a few years and have heard enough heater malfunction horror stories to last me a life time. I also cooked a softball sized goldfish once because my heater decided to go nuts. I may have had time to catch it if I had two slightly smaller heaters running instead of one big one.

Back