Videos of my fish

You have 3 high risk fish.
Clown
Queen
Sohal

And most of them will outgrow your tank. They look great now, but you will need to upgrade, and may run into issues with at least one of said fish.

Oh yeah, I know they will outgrow my tank and I'm more than prepared to put them in a larger tank when they get too big for this one.

Look, I see people post every day that their fish die from ich, from other diseases, they get eaten by eels, they kill each other, die of poor water conditions, poor diet and so on. Personally, I haven't had a single fish die in about 3 years, my water conditions are perfect, I check all the parameters weekly, my nitrates are always less than 20, I have a large refugium, oversized protein skimmer, no ich, no algae problems, I feed a wide variety of food, all my fish are healthy and fat and I watch them all the time for agression. To say my tank is a disaster waiting to happen is ridiculous, especially with the stuff I read every day of people doing to their fish.

So you think I'll wake up one morning and my 4" clown trigger will have grown to 12" overnight and killed every fish I have in the process?

So you think I'll wake up one morning and my 4" clown trigger will have grown to 12" overnight and killed every fish I have in the process?
Don’t be a smart ***, the clown trigger is perfectly capable of killing a few of your fish right now, ive heard of it happening many times and seen it happen right in my uncles tank.

Don't be a smart ***, the clown trigger is perfectly capable of killing a few of your fish right now, ive heard of it happening many times and seen it happen right in my uncles tank.
Man, ANY agressive fish can kill any other fish at any time. If you go by this, then don't get any fish. It's safer to just have corals. What's the chance of people who have Dragon Morays that they'll eat or attack another fish? Pretty good, no? So why do they keep them? Heck, even a clown fish can kill another fish. My point is that if I see any serious agression from any fish in my tank, I am ready and willing to move that fish to another tank. Right now they all get along fine, did you see any agression in those videos?

Man, ANY agressive fish can kill any other fish at any time.
Yes, but there are aggressive fish that are much more likely to attack tank mates than others. im not meaning to harass you, I just wanted to give you a heads up, that the Clown can and will snap any minute (so can the sohal and queen).

I think that you guys are being a little rough on Staypuft here. First, Staypuft's fish all look fat and healthy right now, so he has that going for him. Second, Staypuft acknowledges that the clown trig, sohal tang, and queen angel all will outgrow the 150, and he says he'll upgrade when the time comes. Any reason not to take Staypuft at his word on that? Finally, although any of these three fish could snap at any time and kill others (but especially the sohal and the clown trigger, of course), Staypuft says that at the first sign of serious aggression, the offending fish will be removed and placed in another tank. And at 4", the clown trigger is less of a "ticking time bomb" than it will be at, say, 6" or 8". All in all, seems pretty responsible to me.

(All that said, however, I do think that the sohal is about due for that upgrade right about now, however. At 10", that is a lot of boisterous, aggressive fish for a heavily stocked 150, as I'm sure Staypuft knows.)

Staypuft, thanks for sharing the videos.

Staypuft thank you for sharing, but I'm going to have to agree with evilspaz. You also increase the likeliness of death because all 3 of these fish become very aggressive when they feel cramped.
With that being said, and if you don't mind me asking, what size tank do you plan on upgrading to? The only reason I ask is that my 11" queen will aggressively chase any fish that gets into his personal space. IMO your upgrade will need to be large enough to provide personal space for all 3 of these fish ( or at least the queen and clown).

I'm very curious what tendencies have you noticed so far. My guess is the sohal probably runs the tank because it is the biggest, and a very fast swimmer. Has the queen shown any small aggression towards the sohal yet?

Beautiful fish!

Yes, the sohal runs the tank but has not shown any real agression so far. Meaning he'll occasionally chase away a fish that gets in his way but that's about it, a quick chase and it doesn't happen very often. He doesn't terrorize any of the fish. The queen angel grew up with most of those fish from when she was 2" and she has never shown any agression, other than when I introduced the niger trigger. She gave him hell for 2 days but after that everything was ok. The clown trigger has shown zero agression, not even a single chase. I've also had him since he was the size of a quarter.

Also, you have to realize that it looks cramped in that video because I'm feeding them, so they're all bunched up around the food. Usually when the fish are spread out doing their thing, it doesn't look cramped. But my guess is the Sohal will be the first that will have to go to a larger tank, then the queen and lastly the clown trigger. The queen I promised to a friend who has a large 300+ tank. He's left room in his tank for when she outgrows mine. With the sohal I have a number of options, I'll have to think about it and pretty soon probably.

No matter how big that Clown Trigger gets, the Sohal is and always will be the Alpha. He can and will keep the CT in check from extreme aggression toward other fish IMO, and in my experience as I have seen my Sohal do it when other fish in my tank try to get nasty. Clown Trigger is and always will be a risk in any system. And yes, those 2 and the Queen will outgrow the 150 eventually, but it sounds like he has some options, and a plan.

No matter how big that Clown Trigger gets, the Sohal is and always will be the Alpha. He can and will keep the CT in check from extreme aggression toward other fish IMO, and in my experience as I have seen my Sohal do it when other fish in my tank try to get nasty. Clown Trigger is and always will be a risk in any system. And yes, those 2 and the Queen will outgrow the 150 eventually, but it sounds like he has some options, and a plan.
its going to be hard to keep that CT "in check" when its pushing 24". I recently seen a true full grown 24"+ Clown Trigger, Nothing else in that tank I assure you.

its going to be hard to keep that CT "in check" when its pushing 24". I recently seen a true full grown 24"+ Clown Trigger, Nothing else in that tank I assure you.
You're just taking things to the extreme to hear yourself talk. Do you really think I would keep that CT in this tank until it gets to 24"? :rolleyes: I'd have to be a pretty irresposible person to keep a fish that size in a 150gal. Any fish, not just a CT.

And what makes you the ultimate expert in fish keeping? Everyone here has posted good comments, useful and to the point. You sound to me like a troll that just likes to stir things up.

You're just taking things to the extreme to hear yourself talk. Do you really think I would keep that CT in this tank until it gets to 24"? :rolleyes: I'd have to be a pretty irresposible person to keep a fish that size in a 150gal. Any fish, not just a CT.

And what makes you the ultimate expert in fish keeping? Everyone here has posted good comments, useful and to the point. You sound to me like a troll that just likes to stir things up.
No, you misunderstood I know you wouldn't keep a 24" CT in your 150, I was talking about the fish in general. Sorry to be a dick here I apologize, I just would hate to see your CT destroy your beautiful tank.

A-Show me a 24 inch Clown Trigger, let alone one in captivity....Even fishbase says they top out at 19 inch.

http://fishbase.mnhn.fr/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2300

B-When you do, I would match a 16 inch Sohal that would still give him a beating if he wanted to.

Angry/Big Sohal Tang vs. Angry/Big (or even bigger) Clown Trigger = Still no contest...Sohal is faster, more agile, and has a huge knife in his tail to go along with a really bad attitude.

Back