vinc Oceanic 215 gallon Starfire Tank Build

vinc

well today was the big day. Jas drilled the tank. 2 1 1/2 and 1 2in
I am going to use the 2 in for the closed loop with a Sequence ReefFlo HammerHead or a Sequence ReefFlo Barracuda and going to bring the water back in the tank with a OceansMotions 4 Way . well here are some pictures of drilling the 215 Oceanic starfire tank

crabs002.jpg

crabs001.jpg

crabs004.jpg

these were pictures of the side of the tank being drilled it was a 2 in hole and the glass was 1/2 thick

After seeing Jas sweating a little from being scared I had to give him a beer or 2 to get his nerves down now here ar the pictures of the bottom being drilled 2 1 1/2 in holes the glass on the bottom was 3/4 in thick. I think he was scared

crabs003.jpg

crabs005.jpg

crabs006.jpg

crabs008.jpg

crabs.jpg

well maybe alittle more then 2 beers. I had to hold his hands steady while he was drilling . I saw him swaying back and forth:lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Nice to see it coming together. So Vinc, what did you drink?

Seriously, when you start tlaking hammerheads, you are running some juice. I run a dart and my CL&P rectal probe was 458 this month.

well I had a beer . 1 beer . I was going to run a dart but was not sure if I would have enough flow with the dart so I was thinking of going with the other pump anyone have any suggestions

Run the dart. If it's a basement display, you are getting a ton of water, and not paying for head pressure.

Those are some perfect holes! Is that a new bit?

Good to know Jas's consumption rate in case I ever need some holes drilled I'll be sure to stock up.

Very nice!
I was always afraid of using a diamond hole saw bit with a hand drill after seeing some buddies shatter the pane and went the dremel path but that takes a while and the holes are fugly :)

OMG!!!! Is Vin really starting his build thread??? Or is this just a teaser? Next update...2nd Tuesday of the 10th month in the 9th year.

J/K very nice job on the holes Jas. More credit to Vin for holdling him steady.:lol: :beer:

well when I start something I go all out and just want to keep moving so today I went out and bought some fittings and unions they didn't have Gate valves so I will hit my plumbing supply house on tuesday and get some. well here are some more pictures of what I bought

crabs010.jpg

crabs009.jpg

You can tell how anal he is. Just look how perfectly he lined up all those fittings.:lol:

Talk to REEF-DADDY. He runs a Dart on his 280 and loves it. (last I heard).

Sooo, got any water in that thing yet???:D

A Dart is too small to run as a closed loop for a 215 gallon tank. If you go with a Dart you will also need some other means of flow maybe try to hide some Hydors behind the rocks, but it will hard to do with a tank viewable from 3 sides and still look good. Maybe we can drill 1 more intake hole for 1 more Dart and run it as a closed loop with out a Ocean Motion. Just a thought.

And yes.... drilling and beer go well together. Cheers!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10440026#post10440026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PL-Reef
A Dart is too small to run as a closed loop for a 215 gallon tank. If you go with a Dart you will also need some other means of flow maybe try to hide some Hydors behind the rocks, but it will hard to do with a tank viewable from 3 sides and still look good.

True. Maybe get in on the Vortech group buy and pick up a few.:D I know REEF-DADDY is running other stuff too. Jas, do you know what else he has? I know he has Tunze wave box and a Vortech.

Last edited:
Back